Sheffield City Centre's Bus Gate? (Arundel Gate)

36 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The problem with this is that only the police can enforce it and they are generally busy doing other things, so actual enforcement would be very infrequent.

Once drivers realise this, the restriction offers very little deterrence and won’t achieve its aim of keeping general traffic out.

Thats why we have decriminalised enforcement by automatic camera. It’s much more efficient at catching and penalising offenders and frees up police and court time.

Although it was only a cursory look, I found nothing in statute that prevents police from using a fixed camera to monitor junctions with prohibitions such as no-entry no right/left turns. I suppose the argument against falls down to brass tacks. 

However in London, such enforcement has been decriminalised and handed to the local authorities & many junctions with prohibitions have seen camera enforcement. 

36 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

It is mostly funded by central government. The funding was awarded in 2020ish, but obviously covid delayed things quite a bit so the phases had to be moved around.

Ah , the old Covid one .

1 hour ago, Resident said:

Although it was only a cursory look, I found nothing in statute that prevents police from using a fixed camera to monitor junctions with prohibitions such as no-entry no right/left turns. I suppose the argument against falls down to brass tacks. 

However in London, such enforcement has been decriminalised and handed to the local authorities & many junctions with prohibitions have seen camera enforcement. 

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of police enforcing no entry restrictions by automatic camera.

Decriminalised enforcement of some moving traffic offences is now being rolled out to councils outside London ( after many years of lobbying for it) but the councils have to apply for the powers.

I believe SCC are applying and have already identified the sites they will enforce.

• SheffieldForum changed the title to Sheffield City Centre's Bus Gate? (Arundel Gate)
On 28/03/2024 at 16:29, YorkieontheTyne said:

That one’s backfired on me hasn’t it.
O.K. Walking from Fitzalan Square toward Pond St when Flat St drops down on the right hand side there used to be a walkway on the level with a parade of shops. I recall a wallpaper/decorating supplies,  The Friary chip shop , The Minerva cafe and others. At the end used to be a Presto supermarket  underneath the Top Rank and over the top of the petrol station, with a walkway across the road leading to escalators taking you down onto platforms A and B of the bus station.

That's a blast from the past right there 😃

Furnival Gate is a road and Furnival Square is the roundabout.

If the Furnival Square roundabout is removed will the 51 bus route(W to E) be re-routed as it has been using the roundabout to do a U turn. for decades.? The current planner shows the bus not stopping at Furnival Gate MH3 which it most certainly does but is stopping at two stops called MH4 which are not accessible from Rockingham Street unless the Furnival Square roundabout is used. 

With stops on West Street. Rockingham Street and Moorfoot this could ne a real pain for access to the High Street and Stations.

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

If the Furnival Square roundabout is removed will the 51 bus route(W to E) be re-routed as it has been using the roundabout to do a U turn. for decades.? The current planner shows the bus not stopping at Furnival Gate MH3 which it most certainly does but is stopping at two stops called MH4 which are not accessible from Rockingham Street unless the Furnival Square roundabout is used. 

With stops on West Street. Rockingham Street and Moorfoot this could ne a real pain for access to the High Street and Stations.

I believe the roundabout is remaining now. Plans were refined due to increasing costs.

On 28/03/2024 at 16:29, YorkieontheTyne said:

That one’s backfired on me hasn’t it.
O.K. Walking from Fitzalan Square toward Pond St when Flat St drops down on the right hand side there used to be a walkway on the level with a parade of shops. I recall a wallpaper/decorating supplies,  The Friary chip shop , The Minerva cafe and others. At the end used to be a Presto supermarket  underneath the Top Rank and over the top of the petrol station, with a walkway across the road leading to escalators taking you down onto platforms A and B of the bus station.

An idiot in the Minerva put gravy on my chips and not the pie and proceeded to put watered down 'Worcestershire sauce' on the pie and following day put gravy on my curry and chips -kept  going though-loved, Never got used to gravy an

56 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

TBH there's no real need for the 51 to turn left from Rockingham and go all the way down to FG. 

The 51 could turn right and stop at MH5 which is just a short distance (~75metres) from MH4 and Rockingham Gate which provides access to the Moor.

It's only the blind will of SYMCA that dictates that the 51 must used MH4