Google Keeps Feeding Me Stories About White Criminals

13 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

They don't realise how incredibly condescending it is do they.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

You've searched African American inventors. I searched for American inventors and got this

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

You've searched African American inventors. I searched for American inventors and got this

Actually no, that's wrong - that's the image results but if you click All, the results are very different.

1 hour ago, HumbleNarrator said:

No I didn't, I searched "American inventors" and that's what comes up.

Yes that's what's displayed with a Google "image" search; different results with an "All" search, which has a wide(ish) spread of male/female, age groups, and skin colours;

The "All" search also gives lots of thumbnails, about 50, with a different spread of inventors.
The "image" search obviously relies on images viewed, and the algorithms give prominence to those receiving the most interactions.
Given that Feb is US Black History Month, (Oct in UK) then its very likely that the search will show lots of African American inventors, when viewed in Feb; it may be different in a few months time, or when some big story hits the news.

I'm having to guess folks opinions of course, since no-one here defined their version of Woke, or what may be wrong with the images portrayed, though I'd agree that women are probably under represented.

Compare Google with the following

Bing Image Search American Inventors

Brave Image Search American Inventors

DuckDuckGo Image Search American Inventors

Yahoo Image Search American Inventors

Can anyone present us with a different search engine which they feel more accurately represents their view of the world?
Perhaps I should point out that Google, like many other search engines has an advanced search feature
I wonder if some of out contributors would prefer this Google Image Search for American Inventors (with a few constraints added)

Do briefly follow all of the links 😉