Chris Wilder

4 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

So you think he was brought in with planning ahead for next season because he's a better option than Heckinbottom?

That would imply that the club had already thrown in the towel for this season and jumped at the chance to re-sign Wilder while he was available... :suspect:

When he was brought in it was obviously to try and keep us up, but with an eye on next season should we go down. Wilder is definitely a better option at Championship level than Heckingbottom. Look at the promotion season under Hecky. We were so negative at times and would often scrape past teams 1-0, while having two of the best players in the league and then nearly threw it away at one point.

4 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

So you think he was brought in with planning ahead for next season because he's a better option than Heckinbottom?

That would imply that the club had already thrown in the towel for this season and jumped at the chance to re-sign Wilder while he was available... :suspect:

To be honest Mr. Bloke, 

I was beWILDERed  at is reappointment, I couldn't, and still can't see the logic in it.....

The thing I don't understand is the media hatred of the Blades, they seem to revel in slagging us down meanwhile Burnley can do no wrong. WTF have we done to upset them so much.

As for Wilder it did seem strange to me bringing him back but I guess only time will tell, let's see how we do next season.

9 hours ago, monzaman said:

The thing I don't understand is the media hatred of the Blades, they seem to revel in slagging us down meanwhile Burnley can do no wrong. WTF have we done to upset them so much.

As for Wilder it did seem strange to me bringing him back but I guess only time will tell, let's see how we do next season.

Its not just the media.

Wilder used to like to play on the "poor little Sheffield United" schtick but since spending £40m on dross like McBurnie and Brewster he just blames everything else, yesterdays man.

53 minutes ago, Top4719 said:

Its not just the media.

Wilder used to like to play on the "poor little Sheffield United" schtick but since spending £40m on dross like McBurnie and Brewster he just blames everything else, yesterdays man.

How much did Illiman cost?.

On 23/02/2024 at 13:53, Baron99 said:

You've seen me state it before, I'd have paid Heckingbottom et al at the end of last season & tried for the out of work at the time Brendo Rogers but that would have meant the Prince putting his hand a whole lot more deeper into his pockets.  Things might have been bit different if we'd not sold at least one quality player in Ndiye & also Berge & if Heckingbottom had gone earlier & Wilder had more games to play & not suffered the number of unfortunate injuries we have but we'll never know? 

So we are where we are.  People are now slagging off Wilder without really giving him a chance after only a few games.  Ok, we sack him this Friday afternoon, who's going to come into a side looking at relegation?   What quality of manager are you going to get?  Come on, name a replacement for the rest of the season & the start of a new season in the Championship? 

Wilder previously built a side to take the Blades out of the Championship to the Premiership.  For me, let's get rid of some of the deadwood on high wages, give him the money to spend as well as the parachute payments & rebuild again & go for a promotion push.  

Wilder at least deserves another chance to give it a go next season. 

I really can't understand the desire to jump straight back in to the fire, assuming you get thrown out of it come May. 

Isn't a very good Championship side, Sheffield United, better than a whipping boy United out of it's depth?

I hope you recall, I DON'T want to see Wednesday in the Prem, other than it would enable Chansiri the chance to recoup a fair chunk of 'his' money,  to sell up and go back to Thailand.

There is, of course, a chance that a multi, multi, multi billionaire could come in at S6 and make us a force to be reckoned with (as could happen at S2), but that still wouldn't make me a fan of the PL. It's a plastic, false entity.

What happens when the money's gone?

Back to embarrassment, that's what.

52 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

I really can't understand the desire to jump straight back in to the fire, assuming you get thrown out of it come May. 

Isn't a very good Championship side, Sheffield United, better than a whipping boy United out of it's depth?

I hope you recall, I DON'T want to see Wednesday in the Prem, other than it would enable Chansiri the chance to recoup a fair chunk of 'his' money,  to sell up and go back to Thailand.

There is, of course, a chance that a multi, multi, multi billionaire could come in at S6 and make us a force to be reckoned with (as could happen at S2), but that still wouldn't make me a fan of the PL. It's a plastic, false entity.

What happens when the money's gone? 

Back to embarrassment, that's what.

My bold. 

No matter who brings the money in & how much they have, there's still no guarantee & ultimately, there can only be 1 winning team in whatever competition. 

Apparently, 15 of the Premiership owners / consortiums are now in the billionaire bracket.  The Prince is a relative pauper in comparison to some. 

https://www.sportbible.com/football/premier-league/premier-league-man-utd-spurs-chelsea-arsenal-everton-827583-20231213

For me, the pro's, con's & general view of the Premiership would change depending on your club's position in the league.  This season, there's no excitement or optimism going into most games.  A couple of seasons ago, we were the enfant terrible of the Premiership, an unknown quantity under Wilder, upsetting the form book & relishing playing any Premiership team.   I'd rather be experiencing the excitement of being at the top of the Championship than the bottom of the Premiership,

I don't buy into the marketing ploy that the Premiership is the best league in the football world.  It's not it's the richest.  Those are two different things entirely.  Look around the football world & you'll still find the majority of today's most famous & talented players, playing elsewhere.  I don't like the constant fiddling about with the Premiership fixtures & stupid kick-off times.  I feel for those supporters who go to the away games.  I don't like the cynicism that surrounds the Premiership. 

Ultimately, the money being made from the Premiership will plateau & the football authorities & the money men will have to come up with a new idea to make more money - European Super League anyone? - where the attendance of fans will be irrelevant.   At that point, when our 'big clubs' go off to play a 20 game season with their 'big clubs', the Premiership will implode.  Although the benefit of that is that the Blades might find themselves top of the Premiership at last. 

• Like 1