Sheffield School Dinners Cook Book

On 24/02/2024 at 16:36, Mister M said:

About 10 - 15 years ago there was a Sheffield cookbook that was heavily advertised in the city centre, I think I first saw it for sale in the Winter Garden's Museum. 

Had a quick look online - it's not this is it?

The Sheffield Cook Book By Adelle Draper | Used | 9780992898106 | World of Books (wob.com)

I'm in that book! 😮

I have recipes and costings for Sheffield school meals, circa 1950/ 1960 era.  Also wages of some kitchen staff of the same time, and some dating back to the  late 1940's.

I will look them out and put them on this post. I remember going in to the kitchen of Fox Hill school canteen.

Things may have altered since I left school in 1962 but I recall that the dinner ladies didn't 'cook' anything, they just re-heated the stuff. I was told by a driverthat most of the meals for council schools were prepared in a facility in the Edmund Road  area and transferred early morning in stainless steel containers to the schools.

3 hours ago, St Petre said:

Things may have altered since I left school in 1962 but I recall that the dinner ladies didn't 'cook' anything, they just re-heated the stuff. I was told by a driverthat most of the meals for council schools were prepared in a facility in the Edmund Road  area and transferred early morning in stainless steel containers to the schools.

I very rarely had to stay for school meals at Junior school I am glad to say and they were delivered in Aluminium containers from some central facility.

I can still remember the smell and I have had a life long aversion to Semolina and Rice Pudding from the time that the supervising teacher insisted that I ate a bowlful whilst I was gagging.

Much improved meals at my Grammar School where the meals were cooked on the premises and a proper dining area/cafeteria setting

On 25/02/2024 at 03:36, Mister M said:

About 10 - 15 years ago there was a Sheffield cookbook that was heavily advertised in the city centre, I think I first saw it for sale in the Winter Garden's Museum. 

Had a quick look online - it's not this is it?

The Sheffield Cook Book By Adelle Draper | Used | 9780992898106 | World of Books (wob.com)

Bought it - thanks!

That's the missus' birthday sorted.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2024 at 10:41, dp59 said:

I have recipes and costings for Sheffield school meals, circa 1950/ 1960 era.  Also wages of some kitchen staff of the same time, and some dating back to the  late 1940's.

I will look them out and put them on this post. I remember going in to the kitchen of Fox Hill school canteen.

That would be great.

Gearing up to do the Cheese and Onion flan for Tuesdays' tea - veggie family so can't use the lard...  just need to find a margarine supplier now!

On 03/03/2024 at 09:03, Lionel Richtea said:

Bought it - thanks!

That's the missus' birthday sorted.

There's another few editions too, if you wanted to build a collection...

https://mezepublishing.co.uk/?s=sheffield (Meze Publishing are a great local publisher to support!)

I recommend all of the Sheffield Cook Books, Strong & Northern (the Henderson's Relish cook book) and the Beer and Spirits bible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well - made the cheese and onion flan and it was...not bad!

You have to put an amazing amount of cheddar in the reconstituted milk and it goes very runny whilst cooking - needs to set.

Went down well with the family (except the picky eater who took out all the bits of onion!).

I'd probably make less  filling next time, perhaps reduce it by 30%: it was a bit deep which made it hard to cook. Also , there wasn't a temperature setting so I went 210 degrees.

Bon apetit!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...