The Civil Service.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yep, I think Pilot's beaten me to it. That's the one.

There's also her giving an interview about Yes Minister.

Just seen the clip,  it did make me smile 😉

My experience of dealing with the civil service is that it's like swimming through extra thick treacle. It took the Inland Revenue three and a half months after my mother died to let me know she'd paid too much income tax. You have to wait nearly 2 weeks to get a reference number before sending in the inheritance tax forms but strangely enough, it only took them 2 weeks to let me know how much I owed them. The Probate Department are even worse; before covid, it only took a few weeks for probate to be granted but now their website is saying it takes up to 16 weeks because of the backlog. I read online yesterday that many people are waiting a year to be granted probate with one poor soul still waiting after 18 months. Apparently, the Tories stupidly cut their staff by 30% last year but I wonder if part of the problem is civil servants working from home where the actual number of hours a day they actually spend working can't be monitored.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2024 at 12:57, despritdan said:

My experience of dealing with the civil service is that it's like swimming through extra thick treacle. It took the Inland Revenue three and a half months after my mother died to let me know she'd paid too much income tax. 

And it took the pensions department 10 days to tell my OH that her father had received too some pension money after he'd died and they wanted it back