Lack Of Public Houses On The Moor

On 02/03/2024 at 13:41, ECCOnoob said:

But there is lots of provision very close by including entire streets which are predominantly made up of pubs, bars and restaurants.

What some, including the original poster, have failed to sufficiently describe is where is this desperate need for a pub on The Moor and where  the footfall going to actually come from

Close by is a matter of opinion. What may be close by to some is inconvenient to others, especially those laden with shopping bags! The footfall is already there. Thanks to Sheffield City Council effectively condensing the entire city centre to The Moor, it sees thousands of visitors each day. You under estimate the impulse drinker who will see a pub and pop in for a drink.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Close by is a matter of opinion. What may be close by to some is inconvenient to others, especially those laden with shopping bags! The footfall is already there. Thanks to Sheffield City Council effectively condensing the entire city centre to The Moor, it sees thousands of visitors each day. You under estimate the impulse drinker who will see a pub and pop in for a drink.

Like everything on this forum, it's all a matter of opinion, it's not facts! I'm not sure why anyone laden with shopping bags would want to go into a pub rather than go to a car/tram/bus/taxi but who knows? I would have thought that the pub owners would have done some significant research about prospective customers before investing in property etc and maybe that's why there are none. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Like everything on this forum, it's all a matter of opinion, it's not facts! I'm not sure why anyone laden with shopping bags would want to go into a pub rather than go to a car/tram/bus/taxi but who knows? I would have thought that the pub owners would have done some significant research about prospective customers before investing in property etc and maybe that's why there are none. 

I am sure the owners of The Moorfoot Tavern did research and found a market was there. The Milestone at Crystal Peaks is popular with shoppers, so I don't agree with your point about shoppers going straight back to the car/bus/tram. As said earlier, even successful businesses can miss gaps in the market. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am sure the owners of The Moorfoot Tavern did research and found a market was there. The Milestone at Crystal Peaks is popular with shoppers, so I don't agree with your point about shoppers going straight back to the car/bus/tram. As said earlier, even successful businesses can miss gaps in the market. 

As there is more than one pub chain, and independents, that must mean there are a lot of successful businesses missing this 'opportunity'.

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

Because I already run a successful business that keeps me busy enough. 

OK - but don't you think Greene King/Vintage Inns et al won't already have looked and decided it isn't a viable proposition. They have whole offices full of people looking for opportunities.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

OK - but don't you think Greene King/Vintage Inns et al won't already have looked and decided it isn't a viable proposition. They have whole offices full of people looking for opportunities.

Personally, no, I think it's an oversight. But how can I or you know who has looked at what and what the rates are? Crystal Peaks is a prime location and The Milestone have found it viable to operate a pub there for over 27 years. When The Moorfoot Tavern closed, The Moor Markets weren't open, banks such as HSBC were still situated on the other side of the city centre and footfall was much lower.  Businesses open new branches all of the time and it doesn't mean there wasn't a demand there before.  Thwaite's, Greene King or Hungry Horse would all do well on The Moor, especially at the honey pot where the markets are. It could be that pubs have been trying to rent a unit on there but The Moor has rejected them in favour of retail outlets. Again, we don't know but we can speculate.