Lack Of Public Houses On The Moor

3 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

Yes I know they have 2 across the road from each other. But to be fair they were 2 different types of spoons up to a few years ago with the different licensing used in Lloyds No1 pubs.  I just don't think there is the appetite to have a more traditional pub on the Moor by the council/landowners. You could end up with the city centre bookended by Dodgy pubs and trouble spots (The other being the Bankers Draft)

Are you saying The Banker's Draft is a traditional type of pub or it isn't? 

In my opinion, there are several different types of pub;

Tap Houses/Hipster Micropubs

Gastro Pubs

Mainstream Pubs e.g. Greene King

Pubs With Discount Deals e.g. Wetherspoon 

Local pubs that act as social clubs such as The Dial House

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

Yes, it gets a lot of shoppers. You will see countless people coming up the steps from the Peaks to there, as well as families out for a meal and loyal regulars, some of them living near by.

I'm sure it does get plenty of shoppers as well as families...but...in your post #161 where we were discussing the Moor,  you mentioned shoppers laden with bags, and the convenience of a pub! I  question the number of customers who would want to, neh. be able to wander far to go to a pub when they are laden with shopping bags, let alone want to climb a flight of steps to do so. 

• Like 1

Just now, Meltman said:

I'm sure it does get plenty of shoppers as well as families...but...in your post #161 where we were discussing the Moor,  you mentioned shoppers laden with bags, and the convenience of a pub! I  question the number of customers who would want to, neh. be able to wander far to go to a pub when they are laden with shopping bags, let alone want to climb a flight of steps to do so. 

That's why a pub ON The Moor would be useful, less of a trek for shoppers with heavy bags. It's all well and good saying The Roebuck is a stone's throw a way but it's a different matter when you have heavy shopping.

2 minutes ago, Resident said:

The Moor is a retail area. It's populated by retail stores for that reason

So is Crystal Peaks and Meadowhall but they still have pubs on site. Are you saying Castle Square isn't a retail area too? What about Orchard Square, home to The Museum Public House?

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

That's why a pub ON The Moor would be useful, less of a trek for shoppers with heavy bags. It's all well and good saying The Roebuck is a stone's throw a way but it's a different matter when you have heavy shopping.

If I was going into the city centre to shop and have a drink, I would tend to have the drink first, then do whatever shopping I needed (including chilled/frozen items) and then go home, but just maybe I plan a little better than some.

• Like 1

The Milestone have found it viable to operate a pub there for over 27 years. 

It has the advantage of being surrounded by lots of housing estates and residential suburbs . It has the advantage of NOT being surrounded by several streets already filled with bars and pubs and restaurants and leisure units. It doesn't have to directly compete with theatres or cinemas or nightclubs or music venues or hotel lobbies.   

It's not even remotely comparable.  

When The Moorfoot Tavern closed, The Moor Markets weren't open, banks such as HSBC were still situated on the other side of the city centre and footfall was much lower.  

The Moorfoot Tavern closed down in 2012 a time when I'd argue footfall was significantly higher. A time when big stores like Debenhams, BHS, and John Lewis were still open.

It was also a time where most office workers in the city had to be there 5 days a week.  Including the Moorfoot Building which was filled with council workers, a very large call centre building and two BT office blocks all within a few steps away.

Perhaps the real reason for its closure is actually sod all to do with location and more than that many of its reviews described the place as a dive.

Thwaite's, Greene King or Hungry Horse would all do well on The Moor, especially at the honey pot where the markets are. It could be that pubs have been trying to rent a unit on there but The Moor has rejected them in favour of retail outlets. Again, we don't know but we can speculate.

Firstly, two of those brands you mention are the same company - so much for your expert knowledge of the "catering industry". Seems about as valid as you so called knowledge of the "transport industry."

Now you claim they would do well but yet not a single one of them is trying move in. Wonder why that is?   Just perhaps those large corporations actually have more idea of the market and reach than some random fantasist on the internet.

I can't imagine for a second that any landlord is going to deny a legitimate business to rent one of their units.  After all, The Moor has allowed other leisure businesses to open in The Light complex and Lane 7 and The Furnace. Why would they give the brush off to a pubco if one was showing interest.

You say "we don't know" but actually many people do. The licences and the applications and change of use planning docs, decisions and appeals are all there. Available at the click of a button. It's how most local rags get their news stories and part of how many sensible businesses will undertake researching, assessment, and due diligence of the relevant market, location opportunities and potential competition.

Something again which someone of your alleged business calibre should you know all about.  Unless of course you are talking a load of bull..... Hmmmm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

So you expect someone to walk from a shop somewhere on the Moor, laden with shopping, to a pub somewhere on the Moor. When they have had a drink or two/three etc then walk back on the Moor to wherever they are going to access transport home, still with the laden bags of shopping. I can't see many people doing this. ,not enough to make a pub a viable proposition. 

• Like 1