Lack Of Public Houses On The Moor

15 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I don't think that building was listed? Neither that block or it's sibling over the road (Midcity House - currently being demolished) have ever been listed to my knowledge?

Which would mean that would have been a flat-out lie from the Council if given as the reason for refusal, but an easily refuted lie, if McDonalds appealed that at the time?

Do you remember what year this was, planning apps should be easy enough to find (though it's trickier if it's older than 20 years)? I remember it was open as McDonalds when I came to Sheffield in 2003, but it was Stone The Crows for a few years before demolition, not sure when it changed...

Around 24 years ago IIRC. The CFO said they were finishing out the lease then calling it quits.  I believe that it actually closed at the end of 2005. 

AFAIK the changes that McDs wanted would have changed quite a bit of the back of house (new HVAC & Extraction systems plus cosmetic changes throughout the building fascia. 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

Around 24 years ago IIRC. The CFO said they were finishing out the lease then calling it quits.  I believe that it actually closed at the end of 2005. 

AFAIK the changes that McDs wanted would have changed quite a bit of the back of house (new HVAC & Extraction systems plus cosmetic changes throughout the building fascia. 

I remember that McDonald's being a bit more old fashioned than it's counterparts. I think at the time of closure, it still had the plastic seating with brown lino cushions. I remember the zig zag pigeon preventers that framed the windows like giant teeth. There is a page online where someone did an urban exploration of the back of it and the top of Sunwin House, which may be of interest to you, I think it was called 28 days later.

The only empty unit on the Moor that might be ok for a pub is the closed down Burtons shop on the corner. No idea if it would be suitable to turn into a pub  only went into Burtons once I think it had an upstairs part to it. 

14 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

The only empty unit on the Moor that might be ok for a pub is the closed down Burtons shop on the corner. No idea if it would be suitable to turn into a pub  only went into Burtons once I think it had an upstairs part to it. 

Would be a bit of an accessibility issue for the upstairs I imagine. I didn't realise Burton/Dorothy Perkins had shut.

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Would be a bit of an accessibility issue for the upstairs I imagine. I didn't realise Burton/Dorothy Perkins had shut.

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Been shut years, you could install a lift but that's an expensive investment.

14 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

They're just online now. Were part of Arcadia group which went bust

1 hour ago, Zinger549 said:

They're just online now. Were part of Arcadia group which went bust

You would have thought that our resident "business diploma graduate" and "successful catering business" owner would have known that - given it was among one of the most highly publicised and spectacular corporate collapses we've had in years.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 4