Lack Of Public Houses On The Moor

On 27/02/2024 at 16:23, tired&weary said:

The Moor isn't a very long road & there's plenty of pubs nearby 

Really, do you expect every 4th building to be a pub?!

I think it would be a good idea to have a couple of pubs on the moor.  Improve the night time economy in the area. Link a pub crawl up to London road and town etc 

don’t get all opposition 

2 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

I think it would be a good idea to have a couple of pubs on the moor.  Improve the night time economy in the area. Link a pub crawl up to London road and town etc 

don’t get all opposition 

(A) Where would you put them? (B) As stated above, there are plenty of pubs/clubs in  the city centre.

2 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

A) suppose a potential retailer would have to look for an existing vacant unit or wait for one to come available.

B) so what?

(A) There aren't any vacant ATM - so far as I am aware. (B) So why dilute their potential footfall, in an industry which is already struggling?

7 hours ago, RollingJ said:

(A) There aren't any vacant ATM - so far as I am aware. (B) So why dilute their potential footfall, in an industry which is already struggling?

I don’t see how discouraging new bars/pubs opening is going to help a struggling bar and pub industry.

they would open if someone thought they could make it work - maybe other establishments would have to up their game - or maybe if the new place was better it would replace the struggling old one - who knows.

Just now, Mkapaka said:

I don’t see how discouraging new bars/pubs opening is going to help a struggling bar and pub industry.

they would open if someone thought they could make it work - maybe other establishments would have to up their game - or maybe if the new place was better it would replace the struggling old one - who knows.

Who said anything about discouraging them?

And - are you aware of any applications to open new establishments?

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

And - are you aware of any applications to open new establishments?

It can take time for growth and expansion managers to cotton on to a gap in the market/expansion opportunity. For example, the city centre (excluding the rail station) has just gotten its first Burger King in over 20 years. It can take time to wait for an appropriate unit to become available on The Moor. For example, when Fulton's closed, that unit would have been too small for a pub. The former TJ Hughes would have been perfect but the sportswear shop got in there first.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

It can take time for growth and expansion managers to cotton on to a gap in the market/expansion opportunity. For example, the city centre (excluding the rail station) has just gotten its first Burger King in over 20 years. It can take time to wait for an appropriate unit to become available on The Moor. For example, when Fulton's closed, that unit would have been too small for a pub. The former TJ Hughes would have been perfect but the sportswear shop got in there first.

Or maybe the pub chains have realised there isn't the gap there. Burger King is not a pub - totally different market, as you should realise, having  a Business Diploma.

Obviously, the Fultons unit was not big enough for a pub, and if other concerns wanted to open in the Hughes store, presumably they would have looked at it, as JDS obviously did.

30 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Or maybe the pub chains have realised there isn't the gap there. Burger King is not a pub - totally different market, as you should realise, having  a Business Diploma.

Obviously, the Fultons unit was not big enough for a pub, and if other concerns wanted to open in the Hughes store, presumably they would have looked at it, as JDS obviously did.

You fail to grasp the point of my comparison. All businesses can take a while to expand and realise opportunities. The Sheaf Island for example, sat as a derelict brewery for many years.