Lack Of Public Houses On The Moor

1 minute ago, prince al said:

A Wetherspoons where the old Staples building is would work, opposite Decathlon. It would  get match day trade as well.

Yes and Wetherspoon tend to go for larger units like that. I was and am still surprised that their Swim Inn closed, given its location, it always attracted a crowd. Again, it could have been a tenancy disagreement. Just because a business closes down/doesn't open in a location, doesn't mean the demand isn't there. There can be other factors.

And another thing that has just occurred to me - maybe SCC has decided that they consider granting an alcohol license in that area is not a good idea - I personally would agree with them, especially considering the type of people you see, especially around the Moorfoot area - with all due respect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am sure the owners of The Moorfoot Tavern did research and found a market was there. The Milestone at Crystal Peaks is popular with shoppers, so I don't agree with your point about shoppers going straight back to the car/bus/tram. As said earlier, even successful businesses can miss gaps in the market. 

I don't go into the Milestone so bow to your greater knowledge...but is it full of shoppers laden with shopping bags, as you first mentioned in your earlier post?

28 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

And another thing that has just occurred to me - maybe SCC has decided that they consider granting an alcohol license in that area is not a good idea - I personally would agree with them, especially considering the type of people you see, especially around the Moorfoot area - with all due respect.

Technically , they already granted alcohol licences with the karaoke club in The Light serving alcohol. The thing is that's aimed at the wrong demographic for The Moor. What would do well on The Moor is a bar aimed at the type of demographic that frequent The Penny Black, football fans etc.

1 minute ago, Meltman said:

I don't go into the Milestone so bow to your greater knowledge...but is it full of shoppers laden with shopping bags, as you first mentioned in your earlier post?

Glad you've said that Melty,

Irene makes splendid conversation, yet some posters seem to have a tendency to ridicule her posts.

She raises some very factual points, and her superior knowledge causes a certain amount of jealousy to creep in....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Yes, it gets a lot of shoppers. You will see countless people coming up the steps from the Peaks to there, as well as families out for a meal and loyal regulars, some of them living near by.

Just now, Padders said:

Glad you've said that Melty,

Irene makes splendid conversation, yet some posters seem to have a tendency to ridicule her posts.

She raises some very factual points, and her superior knowledge causes a certain amount of jealousy to creep in....

It certainly does Padders. 🙌

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Meltman said:

The times I visited it last year, when I had reason to be in the area quite often, the answer was a decided 'NO'.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

The times I visited it last year, when I had reason to be in the area quite often, the answer was a decided 'NO'.

On what are you basing that on? Did you notice how many people came or left via the steps? Did you notice a lack of shopping bags? I have certainly noticed people entering from The Peaks and leaving the Milestone and going in to The Peaks, myself included.

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Technically , they already granted alcohol licences with the karaoke club in The Light serving alcohol. The thing is that's aimed at the wrong demographic for The Moor. What would do well on The Moor is a bar aimed at the type of demographic that frequent The Penny Black, football fans etc.

One licence in one specific location, which I presume has conditions attached. The Penny Black, Bramall Lane are nowhere near The Moor.