Lack Of Public Houses On The Moor

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

On what are you basing that on? Did you notice how many people came or left via the steps? Did you notice a lack of shopping bags? I have certainly noticed people entering from The Peaks and leaving the Milestone and going in to The Peaks, myself included.

I did notice how many came into the place yes - by whatever route, but I certainly didn't see many, if any, laden with shopping bags.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

One licence in one specific location, which I presume has conditions attached. The Penny Black, Bramall Lane are nowhere near The Moor.

As others have said, The Moor gets busy on Match Day. Look on Cumberland Street at the chippy on Moorfoot and you will see it swamped with football fans. Whether The Penny Black is near The Moor or not is irrelevant. My point was that the clientele there are the same as what a successful pub on The Moor would attract, football fans, rough diamonds and wheeler dealers.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

I did notice how many came into the place yes - by whatever route, but I certainly didn't see many, if any, laden with shopping bags.

Maybe they went to somewhere like Iceland afterwards. It's not a good idea to sit in a warm pub with bags of frozen food melting.

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I also add that The Steel Cauldron opened up in England's largest shopping centre, Meadowhall.

Isn’t the Steel Cauldron in Broomhill?

• Like 1

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

As others have said, The Moor gets busy on Match Day. Look on Cumberland Street at the chippy on Moorfoot and you will see it swamped with football fans. Whether The Penny Black is near The Moor or not is irrelevant. My point was that the clientele there are the same as what a successful pub on The Moor would attract, football fans, rough diamonds and wheeler dealers.

But is it busy enough on other days to support an expensive to run public house. You brought the Penny Black into the conversation, presumably to make a point, which I can't fathom.

Does The Moor need football fans, rough diamonds and wheeler-dealers? I doubt it.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

But is it busy enough on other days to support an expensive to run public house. You brought the Penny Black into the conversation, presumably to make a point, which I can't fathom.

Does The Moor need football fans, rough diamonds and wheeler-dealers? I doubt it.

Perhaps re-read my posts. I explained my point about The Penny Black twice, and quite coherently. 

The Moor attracts football fans, rough diamonds, wheeler dealers et al whether The Moor likes it or not. They are the target market for shops around there, such as Poundland, Bodycare, Moor Bargains etc. These are the type of people that would use a pub on The Moor, as well as the odd exception like myself who would happily pop in for a drink whilst on The Moor.