Lack Of Public Houses On The Moor

Just now, Longcol said:

Why are people getting Pinstone Street and the Moor mixed up?

I'm not. It's address was literaly 1-5 THE MOOR. 

What I did, is misread your post and read it as opposite Pinstone St. 👀

9 hours ago, gaz678 said:

Suggs and sexy roxy moor was a reyt place .

Sexy Rexy!

Here’s a couple of nice products for you…

https://www.sheffieldguide.blog/shop/sugg-sport-sheffield-organic-t-shirt/

https://www.sheffieldguide.blog/shop/sexy-rexy-sheffield-organic-cotton-t-shirt/

8 hours ago, Resident said:

McDonalds on the Moor closed due to the building needing several improvements. which the company had offered to fund despite the building being council owned. Council refused permission citing that the building was listed. 

Then the council went and redeveloped the whole area......

Nice story but not true.

Like most stories blaming ‘The Council’, the council don’t own much of The Moor at all.

In fact, until recently, most of The Moor was owned by Scottish Widows Investment Fund (Aberdeen Asset Management) for decades. They sold it on to New River / Bravo Strategies / Pimco in around 2021.

It is those organisations that redeveloped, with assistance and encouragement from The Council in aspects of moving the markets there to help footfall and building the Kit Kat car park on Eyre Street, etc. Once the council promised these investments, Scottish Widows jumped on board and finally started redeveloping  the area.

Scottish Widows saw it as a good investment opportunity on the basis that the council were going to invest somewhat in the area, and then disposed of it to make a good profit when they’d got a good enough return on investment.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gaz678 said:

Turn ups was best club around that area following scamps ..could not get into Josephine's too up market for us 😇

You'd be lucky to get into the Gloops Club,  Gaz. :hihi:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Nice story but not true.

Like most stories blaming ‘The Council’, the council don’t own much of The Moor at all.

In fact, until recently, most of The Moor was owned by Scottish Widows Investment Fund (Aberdeen Asset Management) for decades. They sold it on to New River / Bravo Strategies / Pimco in around 2021.

It is those organisations that redeveloped, with assistance and encouragement from The Council in aspects of moving the markets there to help footfall and building the Kit Kat car park on Eyre Street, etc. Once the council promised these investments, Scottish Widows jumped on board and finally started redeveloping  the area.

Scottish Widows saw it as a good investment opportunity on the basis that the council were going to invest somewhat in the area, and then disposed of it to make a good profit when they’d got a good enough return on investment.

I think you'll find that planning permission is wholy a council operated endeavour. SWIF don't have the authority to approve/deny planning. 

7 minutes ago, Resident said:

I think you'll find that planning permission is wholy a council operated endeavour. SWIF don't have the authority to approve/deny planning. 

Planning permission might be, but it needs an application submitting before getting near the council.

And SW, who owned the building(s), never proposed any changes or submitted any planning until the council proposed the area investment to encourage SW to do something with it.

29 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Planning permission might be, but it needs an application submitting before getting near the council.

And SW, who owned the building(s), never proposed any changes or submitted any planning until the council proposed the area investment to encourage SW to do something with it.

I'll take the word of the CFO of McDonald's UK (at the time). It was in a direct conversation with myself that it was a council refusal that lead to the closure. 

12 hours ago, Resident said:

McDonalds on the Moor closed due to the building needing several improvements. which the company had offered to fund despite the building being council owned. Council refused permission citing that the building was listed. 

Then the council went and redeveloped the whole area......

6 minutes ago, Resident said:

I'll take the word of the CFO of McDonald's UK (at the time). It was in a direct conversation with myself that it was a council refusal that lead to the closure. 

I don't think that building was listed? Neither that block or it's sibling over the road (Midcity House - currently being demolished) have ever been listed to my knowledge?

Which would mean that would have been a flat-out lie from the Council if given as the reason for refusal, but an easily refuted lie, if McDonalds appealed that at the time?

Do you remember what year this was, planning apps should be easy enough to find (though it's trickier if it's older than 20 years)? I remember it was open as McDonalds when I came to Sheffield in 2003, but it was Stone The Crows for a few years before demolition, not sure when it changed...