The 'Hanging Gardens Of Moorfoot' — The Moorfoot Masterplan

Is this Sheffield's answer to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon? I thought the bottom of the Moor was going to be Sheffield 's Gay Quarter and was going to challenge Manchester's Canal Street with its high end bars and thousands of excited clubbers packing it out each weekend. Back to the grand plan if it happens. I thought the original plan was to demolish the old Man Power building to reconnect the Moor with London Road not turn into a garden centre.

16 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

Is this Sheffield's answer to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon? I thought the bottom of the Moor was going to be Sheffield 's Gay Quarter and was going to challenge Manchester's Canal Street with its high end bars and thousands of excited clubbers packing it out each weekend. Back to the grand plan if it happens. I thought the original plan was to demolish the old Man Power building to reconnect the Moor with London Road not turn into a garden centre.

The gay quarter idea fell apart years ago and I'm pretty sure the police want Dempseys out.

Similarly, there's no plan to demolish the Manpower building - although I agree it doesn't look great and it cuts the city centre off from London Road, etc., it would be environmentally catastrophic to pull down a building like that which can easily be repurposed.

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

The gay quarter idea fell apart years ago and I'm pretty sure the police want Dempseys out.

Similarly, there's no plan to demolish the Manpower building - although I agree it doesn't look great and it cuts the city centre off from London Road, etc., it would be environmentally catastrophic to pull down a building like that which can easily be repurposed.

Been passed Dempseys bar area today it looks so run down graffiti everywhere would not like to be in that area at night very little in the way of street lighting. I'm not LGTB person but I do think the gay community will need a new meeting place somewhere perhaps housed in a new development and better run.  I get the Man Power building would be a mammoth task to demolish but there could be asbestos in it which would be costly to remove .