More Than 1000 Council Homes To Be Built By 2029

11 minutes ago, Cody's Granddad said:

Which equates to 200 a year, not a lot is it

Remember, this is just council homes in these areas, doesn’t count private homes or other development  and is in addition to a target of more than 20000 new homes (from memory) with a lot of that in the city centre.

I see the council are trying to rename areas. Newstead = Owlthorpe. Bole Hill View = Crookes. I wonder what the hippy 30 somethings with their trendy terraces in Crookes will make of more council housing being built and chav families moving in. They just about manage to sweep the Heavygate/Moorsyde estate under the carpet and paint a picture of a bohemian artsy area. 

Obviously, there is space at Owlthorpe to build on. I hope they don't take up too much of the green landscape though. That said, modern houses need bigger garden space. If you compare the new builds at Waverley to the houses on Parson Cross, the houses on the cross seem like country estates in comparison.

11 hours ago, Delbow said:

Building more council homes makes sense in many ways - one of which is that they don't end up being empty 'investment' properties or Airbnb holiday lets. 

Of course also properly maintaining existing council homes so they can be let also might make sense.

I have no idea what the waiting list may be but I would hazard a guess that 1000 new homes is not going to make a massive difference but of course it is better than none

20 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I see the council are trying to rename areas. Newstead = Owlthorpe. Bole Hill View = Crookes. I wonder what the hippy 30 somethings with their trendy terraces in Crookes will make of more council housing being built and chav families moving in. They just about manage to sweep the Heavygate/Moorsyde estate under the carpet and paint a picture of a bohemian artsy area. 

Obviously, there is space at Owlthorpe to build on. I hope they don't take up too much of the green landscape though. That said, modern houses need bigger garden space. If you compare the new builds at Waverley to the houses on Parson Cross, the houses on the cross seem like country estates in comparison.

Newstead is not Owlthorpe. 
Not much space left on Owlthorpe now.

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Newstead is not Owlthorpe. 
Not much space left on Owlthorpe now.

Where abouts is it? I've never heard of Newstead, apart from Newstead in Nottinghamshire, near Mansfield. I have always considered Birley Moor Road to be part of Owlthorpe/back end of Hackenthorpe. And you are right, they've built some more houses by the roundabout on Moorthorpe Way that look very odd compared to the rest of the houses on that estate.

5 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Where abouts is it? I've never heard of Newstead, apart from Newstead in Nottinghamshire, near Mansfield. I have always considered Birley Moor Road to be part of Owlthorpe/back end of Hackenthorpe. And you are right, they've built some more houses by the roundabout on Moorthorpe Way that look very odd compared to the rest of the houses on that estate.

18 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

- Around 147 residential homes to be built on two sites at Newstead, next to Birley Moor Road – with work due to begin on the south of the site in the next six months and the north of the site in the next 12 months, following submission of revised plans

Around here, I'm guessing:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/vLq8yBQGDjWh3j6S6

7 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Newstead is on the corner of Birley Moor Road and Birley Lane