Sheffield Station Campus Development

9 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The bridge is not and never has been a public right of way. A 'EMR (the operator) spokesperson' is not competent to interpret Network Rail's(the owner) legal status or permissions granted by them.

The Public Right of Way myth is easily dismissed by checking the The Definitive Map pf Public Rights of Way in South Yorkshire which is a legal record of public rights of way. 

The simplest observation tells you that it is not a Public Right of Way, it is closed for several hours every day and fully for at least two days a year without notice or alternative provision. 

I called it a right of way for simplicity... Technically, it is a permissive walkway (and appears as such on the Definitive Map).

But the point still stands, there is a tacit agreement that the bridge is there for through traffic until such time as a replacement bridge is provided (as confirmed by Lord Adonis, then Transport Secretary, in 2010).

9 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Also there would need to be a Promise to Pay Notice Dispenser before the tram stop gateline which would allow everybody to pass through to 'buy' a ticket unobtainable at the ticket machines, or to pay with cash

There would be no need. There is a ticket vending machine at the entrance from the tram stop that (rightfully) accepts cash.

7 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I called it a right of way for simplicity... Technically, it is a permissive walkway (and appears as such on the Definitive Map).

But the point still stands, there is a tacit agreement that the bridge is there for through traffic until such time as a replacement bridge is provided (as confirmed by Lord Adonis, then Transport Secretary, in 2010).

It is not useful to misuse legal terms.   

Insisting that a route is a  Public Right of Way when it isn't is, misleading and unfair on the landowner who will have  to put up with misinformed public demanding their rights. 

It does not appear on the 'online' version as a 'Permissive Footpath'.

Another mistake you make is to say  "Of course, that sign would still count for other areas such as the platforms and the parts of the forecourt not 'counted' as a right of way. " Again you are misleading people -railway platforms are never in any shape or form any type of 'Permissive Footpath',  any person on the platform is in possession of a ticket or allowed  at the discretion of railway staff or station operator whether a manned or unmanned, barriered or not. There are several criminal/civil/ offences and required permission covering platforms. 

• Like 2

Just now, Annie Bynnol said:

It is not useful to misuse legal terms.   

Insisting that a route is a  Public Right of Way when it isn't is, misleading and unfair on the landowner who will have  to put up with misinformed public demanding their rights. 

It does not appear on the 'online' version as a 'Permissive Footpath'.

Another mistake you make is to say  "Of course, that sign would still count for other areas such as the platforms and the parts of the forecourt not 'counted' as a right of way. " Again you are misleading people -railway platforms are never in any shape or form any type of 'Permissive Footpath',  any person on the platform is in possession of a ticket or allowed  at the discretion of railway staff or station operator whether a manned or unmanned, barriered or not. There are several criminal/civil/ offences and required permission covering platforms. 

It absolutely does appear on the online version as a permissive walkway/footpath (I checked this afternoon to make sure).

You misread my comment about the sign — I said the sign DOES count for the platforms. We are in agreement with that.

44 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

There would be no need. There is a ticket vending machine at the entrance from the tram stop that (rightfully) accepts cash.

The 'vending' machine at Sheffield are limited in the types of tickets issued and money accepted so the attendant at the gate will have to let these customers through.

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The 'vending' machine at Sheffield are limited in the types of tickets issued and money accepted so the attendant at the gate will have to let these customers through.

The only tickets I am aware of that can't be issued at Sheffield Station TVMs are rangers & rovers and possibly season tickets. Northern are currently trialling sale of rangers & rovers at Meadowhall TVMs, so there is a chance EMR will follow suit at Sheffield, hopefully. 

Given that Sheffield is home based for the largest team of RPOs on the East Midlands Franchise, I rather suspect they will be manning the gates, not CSOs. RPOs can issue tickets using their hand held ENVOs. You could stand at the TVM and call the RPO over, explain that the ticket you want isn't available and they will be able to sell you one. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

It absolutely does appear on the online version as a permissive walkway/footpath (I checked this afternoon to make sure).

You misread my comment about the sign — I said the sign DOES count for the platforms. We are in agreement with that.

Check again- are you looking at the right bridge? 

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The only tickets I am aware of that can't be issued at Sheffield Station TVMs are rangers & rovers and possibly season tickets. Northern are currently trialling sale of rangers & rovers at Meadowhall TVMs, so there is a chance EMR will follow suit at Sheffield, hopefully. 

Given that Sheffield is home based for the largest team of RPOs on the East Midlands Franchise, I rather suspect they will be manning the gates, not CSOs. RPOs can issue tickets using their hand held ENVOs. You could stand at the TVM and call the RPO over, explain that the ticket you want isn't available and they will be able to sell you one. 

I know. 

Advances, reservation, railcards etc etc

5 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I know. 

Advances, reservation, railcards etc etc

There is a collection facility at that entrance where Advance tickets can be purchased. Rail cards can still be purchased from the ticket office on the main concourse, as has always been the case.