One Year Of Sheffield's Clean Air Zone: Polluting Vehicles Fall By Two-Thirds

IMG_3663.jpeg.65a47404b9af04c72ccc24c929ee35ed.jpeg

Introduced on Monday 27 February 2023, the Clean Air Zone (CAZ) aims to reduce harmful levels of Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) across Sheffield caused by polluting vehicles.

Since the launch, data has shown that the number of non-compliant vehicles has reduced by nearly two-thirds, showing that people are making the switch to cleaner vehicles. The Sheffield City Council-led information compared the number of polluting vehicles using the zone in October 2023 with those entering the area in November 2022, prior to the CAZ being introduced.

In December 2022, ahead of the launch of the CAZ, the council launched its Financial Assistance Scheme to support those with the most polluting vehicles to replace or upgrade to a cleaner vehicle. To date, more than 2,000 grant awards have been made, totalling £4.2million with more applications still in process.

As a result of the Clean Air Zone, several projects, aimed at improving the air quality around schools in Sheffield, are set to benefit with £1million being invested in the expansion of School Streets and part-time 20mph zones. Announced as part of the Clean Air Investment Plan, the projects will create a safer environment for children travelling to and from school and also encourage pupils and parents to adopt a more active lifestyle by walking, cycling, and wheeling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

IMG_3663.jpeg.65a47404b9af04c72ccc24c929ee35ed.jpeg

Introduced on Monday 27 February 2023, the Clean Air Zone (CAZ) aims to reduce harmful levels of Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) across Sheffield caused by polluting vehicles.

Since the launch, data has shown that the number of non-compliant vehicles has reduced by nearly two-thirds, showing that people are making the switch to cleaner vehicles. The Sheffield City Council-led information compared the number of polluting vehicles using the zone in October 2023 with those entering the area in November 2022, prior to the CAZ being introduced.

In December 2022, ahead of the launch of the CAZ, the council launched its Financial Assistance Scheme to support those with the most polluting vehicles to replace or upgrade to a cleaner vehicle. To date, more than 2,000 grant awards have been made, totalling £4.2million with more applications still in process.

As a result of the Clean Air Zone, several projects, aimed at improving the air quality around schools in Sheffield, are set to benefit with £1million being invested in the expansion of School Streets and part-time 20mph zones. Announced as part of the Clean Air Investment Plan, the projects will create a safer environment for children travelling to and from school and also encourage pupils and parents to adopt a more active lifestyle by walking, cycling, and wheeling.

So if, as claimed, the pollution has fallen, bearing in mind that the levels were only just over the threshold, then doesn't this mean that the CAZ is no longer viable and should be switched off? Wasn't that one of the promises made? 

Just now, Resident said:

So if, as claimed, the pollution has fallen, bearing in mind that the levels were only just over the threshold, then doesn't this mean that the CAZ is no longer viable and should be switched off? Wasn't that one of the promises made? 

Yes but dont think the time period specified was "one year".

There is also the issue of that pesky monitoring station near the train station where the pollution isnt actually being caused by traffic.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Guest busdriver1

So how much of this is down to the CAZ and how much is down to the natural replacement of vehicles reaching the end of their intended lives?

8 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

So how much of this is down to the CAZ and how much is down to the natural replacement of vehicles reaching the end of their intended lives?

Natural replacement of vehicles wouldn’t account for a change of two-thirds, surely?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Very hard to say.

The most polluting vehicles are buses, taxis and trucks.

Grants have been available to help operators with the cost of new vehicles or retrofitting.

How many of them would have changed anyway is impossible to say without asking every owner / operator.

Larger bus and truck owners tend to have a cycle of vehicle replacement and are constantly updating their fleets.

Taxis in Sheffield have tended to operate older vehicles as they have claimed in the past not to earn enough to justify the cost of new ones.

Edited by Planner1

15 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

This is a fair point.

I changed my vehicle not long before CAZ started. I went from a Euro4 Diesel to a Euro4 petrol, which reduced the NOX emissions. But I did so because my usage of my car had changed and I no longer needed the diesel as my personal mileage significantly dropped due to using company vehicles. 

9 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Natural replacement of vehicles wouldn’t account for a change of two-thirds, surely?

Is there a council report that’s come out?

If they are just quoting the number of compliant vehicles entering the zone, some of it will certainly be down to re-routing to avoid the charges.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Very hard to say.

The most polluting vehicles are buses, taxis and trucks.

Grants have been available to help operators with the cost of new vehicles or retrofitting.

How many of them would have changed anyway is impossible to say without asking every owner / operator.

Larger bus and truck owners tend to have a cycle of vehicle replacement and are constantly updating their fleets.

Taxis in Sheffield have tended to operate older vehicles as they have claimed in the past not to earn enough to justify the cost of new ones.

I know First were already in process of replacing/retrofitting for Euro6 before CAZ was announced. Whether CAZ sped up that process is unknown. 

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Is there a council report that’s come out?

If they are just quoting the number of compliant vehicles entering the zone, some of it will certainly be down to re-routing to avoid the charges.

Not seen a full report as yet — trying to see if there is one.

For now I presume it is just entry stats.