One Year Of Sheffield's Clean Air Zone: Polluting Vehicles Fall By Two-Thirds

CAZ is just a cash cow. All that happens is traffic is pushed into other areas then eventually I see the CAZ being extended into the areas with the increased traffic. Eventually private vehicles will be included in my opinion so if you can't afford to buy a newer car then you are screwed and will be hit either regular charges. 

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

CAZ is just a cash cow. All that happens is traffic is pushed into other areas then eventually I see the CAZ being extended into the areas with the increased traffic. Eventually private vehicles will be included in my opinion so if you can't afford to buy a newer car then you are screwed and will be hit either regular charges. 

As I said earlier:

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

But…. Isn’t displacing and dispersing the polluting traffic away from the most polluted areas part of the intention (as well as encouraging people to upgrade their vehicles of course)?

I think it is a means of doing something to deal with the problem whilst encouraging the acceleration of adopting cleaner vehicles (or other means of transport). If the world was to catch up with the intention there'd be no need to extend it... but would that happen quick enough?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

As I said earlier:

I think it is a means of doing something to deal with the problem whilst encouraging the acceleration of adopting cleaner vehicles (or other means of transport). If the world was to catch up with the intention there'd be no need to extend it... but would that happen quick enough?

I see your point but I still see it as a cash cow and nothing more. I hope private vehicles are NOT eventually included but if they are then poorer people will be the ones to suffer. On a personal note I'd like nothing more than to leave the car at home (I hate driving these days) and use public transport but Sheffields PT is rubbish so I have no choice but to use the car. 

11 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Interesting follow-up stat:

Since the introduction of CAZ, surrounding areas not within the CAZ have seen a reduction of polluting vehicles by 18% too.

Hopefully that means I'm wrong and the zone won't be extended 👍

21 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Be some egg on faces on here if that never happens, many posters were adamant the zone would be extended...

Might have to bump a few posts when that happens 😉

Edited by HeHasRisen

21 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Just like ULEZ wasn't going to be extended...

I'll believe it when I see it. 

Edited by Resident
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Be some egg on faces on here if that never happens, many posters were adamant the zone would be extended...

Might have to bump a few posts when that happens 😉

My bold.

No doubt however I've previously stated I Do hope I'm wrong. Personally a bit of egg on my face is much better than extended CAZ/ULEZ schemes. 👍

15 minutes ago, Resident said:

Just like ULEZ wasn't going to be extended...

I'll believe it when I see it. 

This is one of the reasons I thought extending the CAZ was/is an inevitability. There's a lot of money to be made. Time will tell though so fingers crossed 🤞 

19 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

This is one of the reasons I thought extending the CAZ was/is an inevitability. There's a lot of money to be made. Time will tell though so fingers crossed 🤞 

Do you actually think the government went to all the trouble of setting up CAZ’s to help local councils make money?

The reason CAZ’s are there is well documented and it’s very clear why the government have acted. I find it rather odd that you and others are still trying to make out it’s some form of money making scheme.