One Year Of Sheffield's Clean Air Zone: Polluting Vehicles Fall By Two-Thirds

11 hours ago, MJ01 said:

Clean air - bad thing

*shakes fist

*clutches pearls

It's  a matter of how much cleaner the air will be for what cost.

The same basic principle which covers everything from Covid suppression to 5 yearly electrical condition reports for rental properties.

The scheme is DISPROPORTIONATE (just like the other examples I mentioned......).

9 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Remember this is all being mandated by the government, who were forced by the courts to act to rectify illegal levels of air quality as soon as possible, following a successful prosecution by environmental activists.

Its pretty clear the government were hoping that ongoing vehicle fleet renewal would eventually solve the issue, but that wasn’t soon enough for the activists and the courts.

If they hadn’t have acted, there was potential for the courts to impose huge fines, which the government can passport on to local authorities where the illegal air quality levels exist.

The government makes the law(s), so change the law(s). 

We used to be told we could not do that (about all sorts of laws / rules / regulations) because were in the EU, but we are no longer in the EU (and I talk as a remainer)......

The world & his wife all know that the CAZ won't truly work until all petrol & diesel vehicles are included in the CAZ. 

Then it will be extended as these vehicles then hit the remaining roads trying to manoeuvre around the CAZ. 

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

It is estimated that in Sheffield air pollution contributes to 500 deaths per year.

I'm certain most of us do agree that the cleaner the air the better for everyone.

I just don't go for the CAZ/ULEZ solution.

It's another tax and the poorer will suffer the most in my opinion  

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I'm certain most of us do agree that the cleaner the air the better for everyone.

I just don't go for the CAZ/ULEZ solution.

It's another tax and the poorer will suffer the most in my opinion  

So, how do we get people to drive cleaner vehicles?