Scam Calls.

They are a constant problem  Pattricia,  I get them too. It depends on how I'm feeling at the time, sometimes I say "no thank you " and sometimes I say " b%&&#r off' etc. If I'm wanting a laugh I sometimes keep them talking for as long as I can, without giving any details to them, they are paying for the phone call after all. 

1 minute ago, Meltman said:

They are a constant problem  Pattricia,  I get them too. It depends on how I'm feeling at the time, sometimes I say "no thank you " and sometimes I say " b%&&#r off' etc. If I'm wanting a laugh I sometimes keep them talking for as long as I can, without giving any details to them, they are paying for the phone call after all. 

Thank you dear friend. But do you have a number at BT to report the call ? 

Unfortunately not, @pattricia - my advice, which I may have posted before is not to pick the phone up if the number that appears is not known to you, or you are expecting a call from someone whose number you don't know.  Unknown numbers usually mean it is a scam call, but sadly there is little you can do about them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Thank you dear friend. But do you have a number at BT to report the call ? 

Unfortunately I don't have a number at BT. As  J says, don't answer if you don't recognise the number...or...are not expecting a call from somewhere. A good sign that it's a con/scam/someone selling stuff is if there's a pause when you answer the phone, before they start to speak. Also  never answer with a "yes" if they mention your name. Good luck. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Unfortunately not, @pattricia - my advice, which I may have posted before is not to pick the phone up if the number that appears is not known to you, or you are expecting a call from someone whose number you don't know.  Unknown numbers usually mean it is a scam call, but sadly there is little you can do about them.

I asked for their phone number and they gave it to me, which I wanted to pass on to BT but can’t find the correct number to report scam calls.

Just now, pattricia said:

I asked for their phone number and they gave it to me, which I wanted to pass on to BT but can’t find the correct number to report scam calls.

Does your phone not display the number? As @Pyrotequilasays above there is the ICO, but as most of these numbers are false anyway, it is rather pointless reporting them.

2 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Unfortunately I don't have a number at BT. As  J says, don't answer if you don't recognise the number...or...are not expecting a call from somewhere. A good sign that it's a con/scam/someone selling stuff is if there's a pause when you answer the phone, before they start to speak. Also  never answer with a "yes" if they mention your name. Good luck. 

They actually asked for a deceased person who lived in the house previously. To me that sounds like they are looking through an old phone book.

1 minute ago, pattricia said:

They actually asked for a deceased person who lived in the house previously. To me that sounds like they are looking through an old phone book.

You are very probably correct dear. From what little I know I was told that they (or a gadget) picks random numbers from a public phone book. As J also says, the number that comes up on a phone  or the one they tell you  is a fake.