Scam Calls.

Can anyone explain how this scam works.

Over the last few days I have received e mails supposedly from B&Q and Screwfix claiming that after completing a short survey I will receive a set of Makita Tools or a Bosch lawn mower.

The small print suggests these emails originate from Austin Texas.

Out of interest I completed the survey up to the point where I was required to pay a nominal amount for delivery and stating that thereafter there would be a monthly deduction to join a club.

However it also stated that in common with other such standing orders that this could be cancelled at any time.

So

1)Do you never receive the promised prize

2)At worst do they just accept the nominal delivery charge as a win

3) Do they rely on mugs to forget to cancel the payment

I am just intrigued and hopefully would never be tempted to pursue such offers.

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I mean, just hit the Delete button like most people do ffs. 

Hang about Mr. Risen.

I have a beautiful young Nigerian lady who follows my posts on this very Forum..

She says she would really like to meet me and have fun times together..

I'm currently saving the £2000 air fare she requires, I'm hoping to forward it to her in time for Christmas..

Just hit the Delete button, you must be joking.........

• Haha 3

Seems to be a large increase in "suspect" calls to my mobile in the last few days - all from UK numbers even though I live in France. Never answer a call from anyone not in my contacts on my mobile. Anyone else who needs to know, eg utility companies, tax office, town hall, has our land line number - or will contact us by text / email.

A lady in my walking group had a scam text message. It started “Hi mum, I’m in town…” Now she’d been speaking to her daughter that very morning, and the girl had said she was going into town, so the message took my friend off her guard. It went on to say “ I’ve dropped my phone and it’s broken, which is why I’m using my friends phone. I need to buy a new one but don’t have enough money etc etc…” She was persuaded to transfer a few hundred. She later mentioned it to her husband, who was suspicious, and rang the daughter. Scam discovered. Luckily her bank were able to retrieve the money in time.

9 hours ago, Slighty batty said:

A lady in my walking group had a scam text message. It started “Hi mum, I’m in town…” Now she’d been speaking to her daughter that very morning, and the girl had said she was going into town, so the message took my friend off her guard. It went on to say “ I’ve dropped my phone and it’s broken, which is why I’m using my friends phone. I need to buy a new one but don’t have enough money etc etc…” She was persuaded to transfer a few hundred. She later mentioned it to her husband, who was suspicious, and rang the daughter. Scam discovered. Luckily her bank were able to retrieve the money in time.

Yes, if the scammers send out enough texts there's bound to be people that the message resonates with.

• Like 1