School Allows Fake Eyelashes To Be Part Of Uniform

1 minute ago, Prettytom said:

I’ve just checked the OFSTED research database. There’s no evidence that wearing false eyelashes decreases educational attainment in any way.

So you can all relax now. Nothing to see here.

Hmmm, quite literally in some cases.

86510517.jpg

• Haha 3

It strikes me that it's yet another thing for the right wing press to claim as "woke" destruction of traditional values.
How long will it be before it's compared to The Michaela School etc. though I do note that neither are traditional schools; Knowle is an Academy, whereas Michaela is a Free School.

Note the headline "School allows fake eyelashes to be part of uniform" which is something of a misrepresentation, and seems to be an expression of one particular parent.
i.e. by permitting them, kids peer pressure will encourage their use by other kids who don't want to, or kids who's parents object.
It's not "part of the uniform" at all rather, it will no longer banned under school uniform rules; similarly, they've now permitted a different style of pierced ear stud as well as silver and gold.

Personally, I'm getting old now, and don't have grandkids, so not up to date with what children do these days, but banning makeup, false nails and false eyelashes seems sensible to me.
Politicising the relaxing of those rules though looks much more like the idea of right wing thinktanks demanding a return to a bygone era.

This government seemed to prefer academies, as they remove control from the local authorities, but other folk are attracted to the concept of Free Schools.
The latter operate slightly differently, but still remove local authority control The following is from a Time article
Michaela is one of Britain’s approximately 400 “free schools,” which are broadly similar to the U.S.’s charter schools.

Unlike the U.K.’s centrally-managed state-funded schools, or “state schools,” free schools are run independently by non-profit groups.

They receive funding from government, but operate outside its control. 
I do wonder if the Free School concept is yet another way of handing money to mates.
Suella Braverman of course was the first chair of governors, Calvin Robinson was a trustee and governor.

Like with most things today people want to paper over cracks rather than working on themselves.

How is covering yourself in fakery helping with confidence? It's just masking insecurities - young girls and women are being lied to and celebrities are getting rich from the misery. It's promoted as it making them confident but it's the opposite. Confidence is a psychological issue. It's like with people having stomach procedures to lose weight - it's their mentality that needs work, not having unnecessary procedures.

We live in a quick fix society where it's too difficult to actually work on yourself, so lets stick bits of plastic on our face and nails to cover up our lack of confidence.

The parents are just as bad for allowing it.

• Like 3