Is Fusion Energy Actually Going To Come Good?

Nuclear fusion obviously, not jazz fusion.

For years, nuclear fusion as a viable source of energy was derided and its proponents dismissed as cranks. I never felt able to take a side because my brain no do science, but I have been interested in the steady advances made in fusion over the last few years, with the first net gain in energy (getting more out than was needed to create the reaction) being reported, albeit a small gain. 

Now there is another important step forward being claimed. I've no skin in this game, so if you're a fusion skeptic don't beat on me but tell me what makes you skeptical. I'm mainly interested because a) who wouldn't find the idea of potentially endless, clean, safe energy exciting, and b) it's interesting to see a field of research that was seen as wacky getting investment and seemingly making progress.

5 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Nuclear fusion obviously, not jazz fusion.

For years, nuclear fusion as a viable source of energy was derided and its proponents dismissed as cranks. I never felt able to take a side because my brain no do science, but I have been interested in the steady advances made in fusion over the last few years, with the first net gain in energy (getting more out than was needed to create the reaction) being reported, albeit a small gain. 

Now there is another important step forward being claimed. I've no skin in this game, so if you're a fusion skeptic don't beat on me but tell me what makes you skeptical. I'm mainly interested because a) who wouldn't find the idea of potentially endless, clean, safe energy exciting, and b) it's interesting to see a field of research that was seen as wacky getting investment and seemingly making progress.

I'm like you Del boy.

I've been following this development closely.

I find it quite fascinating, and I do believe that not if, but when, they will crack it. 10 years maybe?

Just now, Padders said:

I'm like you Del boy.

I find it quite fascinating, and I do believe that not if, but when, they will crack it. 10 years maybe?

For me it's a bit like hidden Nazi treasure or 'big cat' sightings. You know it's not that likely but you want it to be true. And some progress is being made, it's just for a lay person like me it's hard to know how much exactly.

• Like 1

It's always been 10 years away, 20 years away.

The theory behind it is sound, it's putting it into practice that is insanely difficult, because basically they're trying to recreate a star on earth in a controlled manner... however you only need to look at our own star to realise that stars do not behave, they have sun spots and huge solar flares... it's for these reasons that I personally don't think it'll ever come to fruition because it's simply too hard to control.

I think the future of energy will be diversity, don't just focus on building 50GW of wind turbines, because the wind doesn't always blow.

Add in solar, battery storage, hydro, tidal energy, nuclear... as the saying goes; don't put all your eggs in one basket.

• Like 4

The first transistor fitted in the palm of your hand, and now you can fit 2.6 Trillion on a single  chip. Similarly fusion will be sorted (by AI probably) and miniaturised to a shoebox size within about 15 years imho. 

• Like 1

On 01/03/2024 at 22:10, Delbow said:

And some progress is being made, it's just for a lay person like me it's hard to know how much exactly.

Important progress has been made recently, they have manged to demonstrate greater power output than input.  I think a few different approaches are being trialled as well.

On 01/03/2024 at 21:58, Padders said:

I'm like you Del boy.

It's been "we'll crack it in 20 years" for as long as I can remember....

• Like 1

On 02/03/2024 at 17:39, Palomar said:

The first transistor fitted in the palm of your hand, and now you can fit 2.6 Trillion on a single  chip. Similarly fusion will be sorted (by AI probably) and miniaturised to a shoebox size within about 15 years imho. 

As above