A Tale Of Two Social Clubs

Big fan of yet another great piece from The Tribune, this time looking at the contrasting fortunes of a couple of Working Men’s Clubs in the city… 

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama  

Bingo in Crookes Social Club. Image Credit: Daniel Timms/The Tribune.

“The [Manor Social Club’s] imposing building still has its distinctive tiled frontage, a throwback to its glory days. But there’s no sign of any activity inside. A torn and tatty poster for a performance by glam-rock tribute band The Glamned last October flutters in the breeze. Next to it, inside a glass frame, is an advert for another music night — but I wouldn’t bet on DJ Simon coming back anytime soon.”

“Compared to the gradual and then sudden decline of the club in Manor, Crookes Social Club is an entirely different, more cheering story. One recent Friday night we went in and found a surprising scene — the club’s traditional working class clientele, sitting cheek by jowl with middle-class newcomers and university students, all playing bingo. I wanted to find out how they have managed to buck the trend.”

Read the brilliant full thing at The Tribune.

20 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The Manor and Arundel clubs on City road both do well ,No middle classes though  ,   Just down to Earth working class people .

I had a pint of Sam Smith's bitter in Arundel about a year ago. Cheap as hell, but absolutely chuffin' awful. Club seemed friendly enough,  all blokes though, no ladies. 

44 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Thought the Manor cub was closed. 

Yeah, the article says it's been closed since February and part of the ceiling fell in, revealing asbestos. Therefore, a very odd thing for @cuttsie to say.

I was in the Arundel yesterday. A really good afternoon.

A few ladies in. Mainly men watching that strange thing on TV, I think they call it 'Football'. There will be a lot of ladies (and men) in this dinner (Sunday) It's Bingo time!

I can't comment on the pump beer/lager quality, I have bottled as my brew isn't on pump in there. The other two I was out with seemed to enjoy their pints.

The Arundel is certainly one of the better Social Clubs in Sheffield (IMO). I'm tempted to give the club in the OP a go, it looks good.

6 hours ago, zach said:

I was in the Arundel yesterday. A really good afternoon.

A few ladies in. Mainly men watching that strange thing on TV, I think they call it 'Football'. There will be a lot of ladies (and men) in this dinner (Sunday) It's Bingo time!

I can't comment on the pump beer/lager quality, I have bottled as my brew isn't on pump in there. The other two I was out with seemed to enjoy their pints.

The Arundel is certainly one of the better Social Clubs in Sheffield (IMO). I'm tempted to give the club in the OP a go, it looks good.

I drive up City Rd most Sunday mornings. Hoards of people stood outside the club there at half 11 on a Sunday morning. 

Bit common, imo.