Atkinsons' Crazy Sales

Has anyone seen the sales at Atkinsons currently?

Marked up as 'March Makeover', they have some reyt bargains across the store. Most labels saying 70% off. I assume it runs for most of this month.

I really do think Atkinsons is a bit of a gem for the city - the last proper department store left in the city centre and a true local independent too. Well worth supporting - and every so often they do these crazy sales with huge amounts off. 😮

429913594_1308954070043661_2664787574425954755_n.jpg.c94330a3e651fc4ddc30a415ae6aa898.jpg429953342_1310570713215330_1358133814790680288_n.jpg.eef5800dad95e9c73cbc30508839055b.jpg430615458_1310570679882000_7061557232715294010_n.jpg.61a69091d133b91cb74ad1ff4ee2b525.jpg430869506_1310570756548659_441109010302904296_n.jpg.406c1b9ea55ff438e41ccb2ed2f6a666.jpg430822869_1310571496548585_1875323731900902850_n.jpg.50392a408e31c5e1fd03e185ebfe2bc1.jpg430678823_1310575263214875_5369641028256976638_n.jpg.919540e2652c1bc364079e464b5e55d4.jpg

430666834_1310570799881988_5515057182370464951_n.jpg

• Like 2

I fancy an air fryer so put the Daewoo in Google Curry’s have the same one at 39 quid it’s available at another place for 38 so they’re having a bit of a laugh at 70% off. I will get one at some point I’m sure even if it will mostly be used for chips.

Sadly, most items are available at lower prices, so not that competative.

I agree that as our only department store we should support it, but it has to offer genuine value for money in these difficult times.

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

I really do think Atkinsons is a bit of a gem for the city - the last proper department store left in the city centre and a true local independent too. Well worth supporting - and every so often they do these crazy sales with huge amounts off. 😮

Totally agree.

With at least 25% of my online purchases being disappointing. unsatisfactory, wrong, DoA etc. requiring time  and effort to rectify, I always try to shop local. 

Secondly my level of confidence in online retailers being  to be able sort out issues is approaching zero.

Atkinsons ticks my boxes for all the right reasons.

32 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Sadly, most items are available at lower prices, so not that competative.

I agree that as our only department store we should support it, but it has to offer genuine value for money in these difficult times.

Easier said than done though.

It is offering value for money. As it states on the labels it's offering 70% off the recommended retail price of the product.  Is completely impractical to expect a bricks and mortar department store business to seriously match prices of online retailers because it has to face the practical realities of employing significantly more staff ratios staff, maintaining an operating a big space in the middle of a city centre, having to deal with a logistics and cost of processing in person customers, offering additional facilities like customer toilets, car parking, cafes....

Everything can't just be simply dumped on the business expecting them to prostitute  themselves - they have to make money after all. Ultimately we consumers have our own parts to play. We need to be driving the change.

If we want bustling high streets...  if we demand  attentive personal service...  If we want to restore some of that in person touch and feel experience that we are all claiming we miss so much.... we have to be prepared to pay for it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Totally agree.

With at least 25% of my online purchases being disappointing. unsatisfactory, wrong, DoA etc. requiring time  and effort to rectify, I always try to shop local. 

Secondly my level of confidence in online retailers being  to be able sort out issues is approaching zero.

Atkinsons ticks my boxes for all the right reasons.

25%???

You need to stop shopping at Wish.com then 😁

3 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

I fancy an air fryer so put the Daewoo in Google Curry’s have the same one at 39 quid it’s available at another place for 38 so they’re having a bit of a laugh at 70% off. I will get one at some point I’m sure even if it will mostly be used for chips.

Seems to be online only, delivery in 3-5 working days.

So the option to rock up and walk out with one immediately at the same price is actually pretty good.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Easier said than done though.

It is offering value for money. As it states on the labels it's offering 70% off the recommended retail price of the product.  Is completely impractical to expect a bricks and mortar department store business to seriously match prices of online retailers because it has to face the practical realities of employing significantly more staff ratios staff, maintaining an operating a big space in the middle of a city centre, having to deal with a logistics and cost of processing in person customers, offering additional facilities like customer toilets, car parking, cafes....

Everything can't just be simply dumped on the business expecting them to prostitute  themselves - they have to make money after all. Ultimately we consumers have our own parts to play. We need to be driving the change.

If we want bustling high streets...  if we demand  attentive personal service...  If we want to restore some of that in person touch and feel experience that we are all claiming we miss so much.... we have to be prepared to pay for it.  

Yes, You're quite right. I agree, and support the high Street where I can.

I think what I object to in this instance is the 70% off, which clearly isn't quite true. It might be 70% off they were charging before (I know there are rules about these things,) in which case they were way overpriced in the first place when compared with the same items in other town centre shops which also have to pay for a bricks and morter existance. 

This is a well known but very old fashioned and overused ploy, easily debunked, which is very much past its best in this day of fierce competition when it's so easy to track prices from most stores as well as online, so Atkinsons really needs a new approach. 

|

The current trend is to aim for 'Destination shopping' which relies on far more than price, but instead values the overall experience. This is where IMO Atkinson's needs to be looking to grow. They have a jolly good start being the only department store left in Sheffield, and a family business to boot. So I'd emphasise this, using local suppliers, and independent traders. 

Farmers markets do well even though the prices are higher than supermarkets, and shops selling Sheffield merchandise and Sheffield items do well, along with more unusual items and hand crafted designer gea, but they too struggle with costs, so why not invite them in to share the space at a more affordable price?.

Add a cute themed or Boho cafeteria, expert staff, and perhaps a roof garden, and Atkinsons could become Sheffield's answer to London's 'Liberties' department store.

• Like 1