Atkinsons' Crazy Sales

The refurbishment at Atkinson's is definitely needed. It is looking rather tired in there lately. What also strikes me is that they seem to be in the middle range category in terms of pricing and class of product. Other middle range stores, such as Woolworth's and BHS didn't fair so well and they had the buying power for good profit margins. Given that Atkinson's doesn't have the buying power to go bottom range, bargain basement style, it seems to me that the best option for a stable future for Atkinson's would be to go more high end and appeal to a more affluent customer base. Their range of high quality chutneys and jams from independent producers is a good start but it should be rolled out further, especially in the underperforming electrical section. I'm talking Miele ovens, designer cutlery, etc. Invest even more in the customer experience by having things like luxury moisturiser in the toilets and fresh flowers on the desks. This could appeal to the same client base that places such as Fenwick's aim for and make Atkinson's a destination to visit.

4 minutes ago, saywhatnow said:

The place is a Sheffield institution and I have no doubt that is only because customers are satisfied. I'm just not going to shop somewhere the staff treated me (my own experience) like that. I wrote  a letter of complaint, received a standard template response, what else can you do? No way would I want to shop somewhere and spend my money with them again

I would do absolutely the same as you. Poor customer service is unacceptable.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, saywhatnow said:

The place is a Sheffield institution and I have no doubt that is only because customers are satisfied. I'm just not going to shop somewhere the staff treated me (my own experience) like that. I wrote  a letter of complaint, received a standard template response, what else can you do? No way would I want to shop somewhere and spend my money with them again

Given your personal experience, I understand the stance you take.

• Like 1