Dan Walker Opens Cafe

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

Or he has made a passive investment?

Or his wife is going to go help run it?

Yes, as a hobby. They don't need the income from it. When you are a multi millionaire, you don't need the modest income of a local cafe. Nothing wrong with them running it as a hobby. Good luck to them. But let's not pretend that this will transform their lives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

He will probably be making changes and putting his own stamp on it or else what is the point? He will be getting paid MINIMUM £400,000 a year for his broadcasting work and that is being pessimistic. It could be close to £1 million. He doesn't need the money then cafe generates. It will be a hobby for him.

I’m sure he was in the press this week a female news reader on 5 has packed it in because he gets 500,000 a year and she gets nowhere near that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

I’m sure he was in the press this week a female news reader on 5 has packed it in because he gets 500,000 a year and she gets nowhere near that.

That wouldn't surprise me. Holly Willoughby used to get much less than Philth Schofield on This Morning, then her agent intervened.

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

That wouldn't surprise me. Holly Willoughby used to get much less than Philth Schofield on This Morning, then her agent intervened.

So? At the time, Schofield had a much more higher profile, history on stage and screen and general star power over Willoughby.  Plus he'd already been a lead presenter on the program for nearly 7 years before she joined.

It will be a similar situation with Walker. His legacy was experience for years at the BBC and joining the presenting team of their flagship new show. That will have been the draw for for channel 5 to bring him over boosting his ego with a anchor gig and getting their reward from hoping to shift away competition from the rivals in the time slot - which will be more than the more unknown female presenter will have done.

The world of show business is not like ordinary jobs.  Its extremely fickle and all hinges on the personality and draw of the viewers, regardless of whether they are technically doing the same job.  Think about people like the late Bruce Forsyth on Strictly Come Dancing. I'd be very surprised if he was getting paid the same as his female counterpart despite the fact that she probably had to carry most of it for him. Ultimately HE was the star. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

So? At the time, Schofield had a much more higher profile, history on stage and screen and general star power over Willoughby.  Plus he'd already been a lead presenter on the program for nearly 7 years before she joined.

It will be a similar situation with Walker. His legacy was experience for years at the BBC and joining the presenting team of their flagship new show. That will have been the draw for for channel 5 to bring him over boosting his ego with a anchor gig and getting their reward from hoping to shift away competition from the rivals in the time slot - which will be more than the more unknown female presenter will have done.

The world of show business is not like ordinary jobs.  Its extremely fickle and all hinges on the personality and draw of the viewers, regardless of whether they are technically doing the same job.  Think about people like the late Bruce Forsyth on Strictly Come Dancing. I'd be very surprised if he was getting paid the same as his female counterpart despite the fact that she probably had to carry most of it for him. Ultimately HE was the star. 

I don't disagree with this comment. Dan has a masters' degree in journalism and has presented several well known shows. 

11 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I don't disagree with this comment. Dan has a masters' degree in journalism and has presented several well known shows. 

Also like me, he rides his bike around the City making peoples Asthma better although he can afford a roller even though he probably has one.

Good on you Dan , You have made your Sheffield identity known to all , You could have moved to the bright lights of London but have stuck around . not like most celebs from here have done .

Keep riding thi bike .  You know it makes sense .

• Like 1