Oliver Coppard Lays Out Case For Bus Franchising In South Yorkshire

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I can think of a couple - abusive customers (see above), and - at some firms - poor management. Someone actually from the industry could give you more.

True

But a big pay increase would incentivise more people to put up with the issues you raised.

Did they not have a shortage of lorry drivers a few years ago, they increased the pay and it appeared to solve the problem

Just now, rogets said:

True

But a big pay increase would incentivise more people to put up with the issues you raised.

Did they not have a shortage of lorry drivers a few years ago, they increased the pay and it appeared to solve the problem

Money is not the answer to everything

Guest busdriver1
59 minutes ago, rogets said:

It would solve your worker shortages though

Really? I think you would find it would have 2 effects. 

1 Recruitment would rise, retention would stay the same = poor

2 Fares would rise to pay for the increase in wages resulting in less passengers.

It has been pointed out on many occasions that the biggest factor detering drivers from staying with bus companies is the public themselves.

These days there is a massive issue with "entitlement" that means many of the public see staff in many roles as easy targets and treat them in a way that would have them in tears if anyone dared to return the behaviour. Constantly being abused by the public, putting up with the numerous "enhancements" to roads that our lords and masters inflict on us. Having breaks late due to running late coupled with the anti social hours of the job mean that it is harder now than ever before to recruit and more importantly retain staff. 

It is a national issue but some aspects, particularly the attitude of the public, is worse in Sheffield than many areas. 

During my lifetime I have driven buses in many areas including London but the final straw for me that led me to leave the industry completely was the attitude of the public in Sheffield. Money was never the issue.

2 hours ago, rogets said:

I reckon a hefty pay rise for the drivers would solve that problem

Train drivers are on over 50k per year, so I reckon bus drivers should be on the same.

If that happened, watch the mass exodus of lorry drivers to bus driving

With all due respect Mr. Rogets,

A good conscientious polite bus driver will make £50 plus in tips per week, tax free.

A smile and a good morning works wonders, but you don't get that with many bus drivers....