Oliver Coppard Lays Out Case For Bus Franchising In South Yorkshire

9 minutes ago, Padders said:

Another one Yorkie,

Free toilet rolls from the lasses at Dixon Paper Mills Oughtibridge. (Now long gone)

And,

The last bus to Stannington, run back light to garage.

Used to be a lad snogging his girl at the terminus, "Drop us off at Hillsboro mate"

Another couple of quid in the hod....

Mind you, at Firvale there used to be a chap gave you a handful of sweets, but the rumour was that he cleared out the lockers of the deceased in the Northern General.

And there was always a newspaper handed over on the early morning services out of the city centre.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Resident said:

FSY has 496 operational vehicles (according to Google). To replace them all with the Volvo EVs it would need an investment of just short of a quarter of a BILLION and that's before you consider the new charging infrastructure you'd need to install at each depot. 

Even BIGGER ouch!

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I know - but I like wasting my time - not.

You might, I do not and am tired of the constant rose tinted glasses view, bye from Me

30 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

You might, I do not and am tired of the constant rose tinted glasses view, bye from Me

It could be argued the other way though and the counter point is that people could be tired of the pessimism towards change.

Either way, the discussion is good! It’s always valuable to hear opposing views and your opinion is as valid as anyone’s.

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

It could be argued the other way though and the counter point is that people could be tired of the pessimism towards change.

Either way, the discussion is good! It’s always valuable to hear opposing views and your opinion is as valid as anyone’s.

I have no 'pessimism towards change' - I, (and others with the relevant knowledge/experience) can see quite clearly what is trying to be achieved, even in the face of glaring evidence that it just doesn't work.

• Like 1

So, for the opposing view to public ownership, are there any arguments to all these seemingly well sourced and cited specific points (and ‘but, but, but TFL’ doesn’t count in and of itself).

20 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Some interesting info from We Own It:

6 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Please delete my account I am done here

We have now lost another well-informed member.  Not exactly the way to keep a balanced forum, if all the responses we get are 'everything must be in 'public' ownership', because politicians, especially local ones, are so good at their job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

We have now lost another well-informed member.  Not exactly the way to keep a balanced forum, if all the responses we get are 'everything must be in 'public' ownership', because politicians, especially local ones, are so good at their job.

It’s a discussion forum — to discuss things. Alternative views will be given and not everyone will immediately follow a specific viewpoint.

I really like @busdriver1 (and other contributors) and think their contributions have been great! I don’t want to see them go, I feel like this is a good thread and good opportunity for people stumbling on it to get more informed and form a more solid opinion on a topic which, outside of this forum, I feel is largely stacked towards public ownership. I’ve certainly heard some good stuff which has made me think about it more.