Oliver Coppard Lays Out Case For Bus Franchising In South Yorkshire

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

It’s a discussion forum — to discuss things. Alternative views will be given and not everyone will immediately follow a specific viewpoint.

I really like @busdriver1 (and other contributors) and think their contributions have been great! I don’t want to see them go, I feel like this is a good thread and good opportunity for people stumbling on it to get more informed and form a more solid opinion on a topic which, outside of this forum, I feel is largely stacked towards public ownership. I’ve certainly heard some good stuff which has made me think about it more.

Please expand.

10 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Biggest thing I learned was that private bus companies aren’t allowed to subsidise less profitable routes using the more profitable ones. That was an eye-opener for me!

Not exactly what I was expecting to hear when I asked you to expand on the 'good stuff' about public ownership, but no matter.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Not exactly what I was expecting to hear when I asked you to expand on the 'good stuff' about public ownership, but no matter.

Oh, sorry — I was on about the good stuff I heard from others on this thread in the post you quoted, not the benefits of public ownership.

1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

Oh, sorry — I was on about the good stuff I heard from others on this thread in the post you quoted, not the benefits of public ownership.

Crossed lines, but I get what you were aiming at - now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

So, for the opposing view to public ownership, are there any arguments to all these seemingly well sourced and cited specific points (and ‘but, but, but TFL’ doesn’t count in and of itself).

In the blurb you quotes it states almost 1400 ev buses for 500 million. 

400 buses  more than 500 mil would actually pay for. Then theres the matter of charging them 

49 minutes ago, Resident said:

400 buses  more than 500 mil would actually pay for. Then theres the matter of charging them 

And recruiting, training and paying the drivers.

12 hours ago, RollingJ said:

And many bus-drivers leave the industry for different reasons - one of the major ones is the abuse they receive from passengers, so it is not just a 'pay' issue.

I took a £2 an hour pay cut to move to a smaller company so pay isn't always the answer. The same could of been said of my colleagues at the larger company, poor rotas were a big issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Resident said:

That is based on savings of 500m/year, which presumably you aren’t disputing?

So, even with your math (not knowing what kind of industry or bulk discounts they might be quoting), that is ~1000ev buses from the savings made, is it not?

Why is that bad?

Also — fossil fuel buses need fuelling too, so the cost of charging can be offset against that (which we know to be extremely volatile in terms of costs and potentially worse for the environment)?

37 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

That is based on savings of 500m/year, which presumably you aren’t disputing?

So, even with your math (not knowing what kind of industry or bulk discounts they might be quoting), that is ~1000ev buses from the savings made, is it not?

Why is that bad?

Also — fossil fuel buses need fuelling too, so the cost of charging can be offset against that (which we know to be extremely volatile in terms of costs and potentially worse for the environment)?

TBH I do doubt the savings figure but without seeing the numbers myself I have to give benefit. 

Yes buses need fuelling however the infrastructure is already there. 

To go full ev at a depot the size of First in Sheffield you're looking at needing to build gantries, particularly on the outdoor parking facility they have. 

Then you also need to work out how the national grid is going to supply the electric. 

About 350 buses occupy Olive Grove. They're going to need 'superchargers' give the lack of downtime, buses can run upto 20hrs a day. 

200kw charger x 350 = 70,000 kw or 70Mw.

The typical output of a small fossil power station.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1