Oliver Coppard Lays Out Case For Bus Franchising In South Yorkshire

10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I understand there are 4(?) electric buses in storage somewhere for use on the 'Sheffield Connect' service, but searching the SYCMA site for information seems to draw a blank - I wonder why?

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

And the same result o the SCC site. Something doesn't add up!

I understand they were always planned to go into service in ‘Spring 2024’, when the ZEBRA scheme comes online (alongside Rawmarsh depot being upgraded for EV buses as part of the funding)?

1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

I understand they were always planned to go into service in ‘Spring 2024’, when the ZEBRA scheme comes online (alongside Rawmarsh depot being upgraded for EV buses as part of the funding)?

So - can you find a reference to them, please?

22 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

So - can you find a reference to them, please?

From: https://southyorkshire-ca.gov.uk/Mayor-s-Priorities

Bus Regional Area bid will bring new, electric buses to South Yorkshire for the first time in 2024, including on Sheffield Connect minibus services.

And if this original timeline still stands (these things often move), they are due in service any time soon (not before March 2024):

https://southyorkshire-ca.gov.uk/getmedia/4340a3fb-ef6a-479b-a7a1-5f59cb2755ca/ZEBRA-SYMCA-with-appendicies.pdf

Thanks for those, although the first one is not very specific, and the second is a long-winded (understandably) document. It would have been easier to post the actual relevant content, though.

AS a point of interest (and not relevant to this discussion) , I note they have heavily edited the supposed costs/savings.

7 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

@Padders I never knew you used to be a bus driver. Us retired transport workers need to stick together. Welcome to the club.

41 years Irene, started with Sheffield Transport Department, then Mainline, it was a good job back then but it went down hill with the advent of deregulation in 1986.

First group bought us out and did me a favour, being a majority shareholder in Mainline, I pocketed about £50,000.

I took early retirement at 60, and I've never looked back, was glad to get out....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

AS a point of interest (and not relevant to this discussion) , I note they have heavily edited the supposed costs/savings.

The information concerning the bus operator is commercially sensitive, hence the redaction.

I’ve seen the similar documents from another area, which involved multiple operators. They also redact information concerning the operators, particularly how much money they receive from the grant and how much of their own money they are contributing. 

The charging facilities for the electric buses have only just been installed in Sheffield Interchange and I'm not sure if the contract to operate the service has been awarded to an operator yet. The vehicles are BYD/ADL Enviro200EV buses.

The other electric buses and charging infrastructure for South Yorkshire part funded by the ZEBRA scheme are for Stagecoach's Rawmarsh depot to be used on the Rotherham-Barnsley and Rotherham-Doncaster services, those vehicles are Yutong E12s.

There are bids in to ZEBRA2 from SYMCA to get electric double deckers for Stagecoach's Ecclesfield and Holbrook depots, also from Derbyshire County Council to get electric buses for Stagecoach's Stonegravels depot.

Edited by Andy C
  • Like 1