Oliver Coppard Lays Out Case For Bus Franchising In South Yorkshire

Hmmm... :huh:

I'll just leave this here...
... it highlights the apparent concerns of Marcus Jenkins the founder & director of Sheffield based company Magtec.

The video gets its points across to those of us who prefer something a little more "entertaining" than what we're currently being served up! :hihi:

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

So they'll spend all night charging at the Interchange - interesting.

That seems to be the case although details on how the route will be operating aren't easy to find out, I'm only going on bits I've heard but can't be sure how accurate they are. I wouldn't have a clue on how long they expect a battery to last.

As for franchising i don't see how the council can afford to buy all the buses needed if that's the plan. I always expected them to decide routes etc but bus operators still use their own fleet.

11 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

@Padders I never knew you used to be a bus driver. Us retired transport workers need to stick together. Welcome to the club.

28 and a former trolly dolly does not make you a retired transport worker

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

That seems to be the case although details on how the route will be operating aren't easy to find out, I'm only going on bits I've heard but can't be sure how accurate they are. I wouldn't have a clue on how long they expect a battery to last.

As for franchising i don't see how the council can afford to buy all the buses needed if that's the plan. I always expected them to decide routes etc but bus operators still use their own fleet.

First paragraph -I was under the impression the route will be effectively as it is now - but of course being SYCMA/SCC, who knows.

second paragraph - It can't, but that doesn't stop 'em making claims. I understand, but could be wrong, that even in TfL-land, the operators provide there own fleet  - otherwise how can they re-allocate them when they drop tenders, as First and Go-Ahead have done (and no doubt others), but those are the two I tend to keep track of?

Edited by RollingJ

54 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

The council won’t be buying any buses. 

They are not the public transport authority. 

It’s the MCA who are looking to introduce franchising, not the council. They are completely different organisations.

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

It’s the MCA who are looking to introduce franchising, not the council. They are completely different organisations.

Same principle - just a 'higher' tier.

17 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

First paragraph -I was under the impression the route will be effectively as it is now - but of course being SYCMA/SCC, who knows.

second paragraph - It can't, but that doesn't stop 'em making claims. I understand, but could be wrong, that even in TfL-land, the operators provide there own fleet  - otherwise how can they re-allocate them when they drop tenders, as First and Go-Ahead have done (and no doubt others), but those are the two I tend to keep track of?

Yes the route shouldn't change too much other than near the city hall might have to change slightly I think but talk of a second 20 minute route going somewhere aswell as a bus running the opposite way to the current route (very unlikely though).

I'll wait and see regarding the franchise stuff but yea sounds odd with the depots if they re-allocate routes. I wouldn't trust the council to get it right anyway, that's if there is a right way to do it.

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Fair enough, I've not had a proper read of what's been proposed it just seemed going on comments here that's what was being proposed at some point. I expect franchising to happen here at some point in whatever way it's implemented though.

3 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Yes the route shouldn't change too much other than near the city hall might have to change slightly I think but talk of a second 20 minute route going somewhere aswell as a bus running the opposite way to the current route (very unlikely though).

I'll wait and see regarding the franchise stuff but yea sounds odd with the depots if they re-allocate routes. I wouldn't trust the council to get it right anyway, that's if there is a right way to do it.

With 4 vehicles? They are having a laugh - they can't even maintain the current frequency on one route with four, or is it five?

5 hours ago, Andy C said:

The charging facilities for the electric buses have only just been installed in Sheffield Interchange

The flower bed walls have been removed to make way for them. It's a shame,as they added some colour amongst the Tarmac™.