Oliver Coppard Lays Out Case For Bus Franchising In South Yorkshire

55 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I suspect you drive for them, but could be wrong.  As I said previously, they don't maintain the frequency, and the vehicles I usually see - when I do, are quite new, and I suspect have been selected/branded for the service as they are compliant.

Around 7 years old I believe. I'm not saying they don't have any compliant vehicles but the fleet of vehicles they do have don't compare to the numbers of First and Stagecoach, so chopping and changing isn't as simple aswell as getting hold of suitable, compliant vehicles is very difficult at the minute.

Once the electric vehicles come in I expect the service shouldn't have as many issues unless the new buses aren't as good as hoped, we'll see.

1 minute ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Around 7 years old I believe. I'm not saying they don't have any compliant vehicles but the fleet of vehicles they do have don't compare to the numbers of First and Stagecoach, so chopping and changing isn't as simple aswell as getting hold of suitable, compliant vehicles is very difficult at the minute.

Once the electric vehicles come in I expect the service shouldn't have as many issues unless the new buses aren't as good as hoped, we'll see.

I don't quite get where you are coming from - the vehicles I see in use are branded for Sheffield Connect, and the ones with 'personal', rather than standard regs. are, from what I've seen, reasonably new. I imagine SYMCA wouldn't have awarded them the contract in the first place if they suggested using non-compliant vehicles.

Just now, RollingJ said:

I don't quite get where you are coming from - the vehicles I see in use are branded for Sheffield Connect, and the ones with 'personal', rather than standard regs. are, from what I've seen, reasonably new. I imagine SYMCA wouldn't have awarded them the contract in the first place if they suggested using non-compliant vehicles.

The buses you see on the connects or in town in general are compliant. What I'm saying is if one breaks there isn't a guarantee they'd have another compliant bus to replace it. Most of the buses on the market to buy that are small enough aren't compliant vehicles, so not easy to replace broken down vehicles. The contract was awarded 3 years ago, CAZ has been in operation for a year. I'm not sure how long before the contract was awarded a clean air zone was being talked about or even decided so it's not like that was an issue originally.

We'll see how the electric buses change things, either for the better or worse

The buses you see on the connects or in town in general are compliant. What I'm saying is if one breaks there isn't a guarantee they'd have another compliant bus to replace it. Most of the buses on the market to buy that are small enough aren't compliant vehicles, so not easy to replace broken down vehicles. The contract was awarded 3 years ago, CAZ has been in operation for a year. I'm not sure how long before the contract was awarded a clean air zone was being talked about or even decided so it's not like that was an issue originally.

We'll see how the electric buses change things, either for the better or worse

I accept that, but you are introducing a 'what if?'. The electric vehicles, if and when they get introduced, should remove all the issues.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I accept that, but you are introducing a 'what if?'. The electric vehicles, if and when they get introduced, should remove all the issues.

Lack of buses it should. No doubt there will be other issues but it's an unknown so hopefully it all works out and any issues are minor. I think there has to be two diesel buses on standby aswell so they are purely relying on everything being great with them.

Lack of buses it should. No doubt there will be other issues but it's an unknown so hopefully it all works out and any issues are minor. I think there has to be two diesel buses on standby aswell so they are purely relying on everything being great with them.

Without doing some research, which I will try and do in the near future, I understand these are similar, or the same as, other authorities/operators have been running for a while with no widespread issues.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

You know very little about train crew if you think that is all we did. Come back when you've done 4 am starts and been stranded in central London with a fatality or spent day in day out operating ramps/shifting passengers out of the way of the doors, dealt with faulty equipment onboard, ordered and managed the delivery of stock up and down the country at precise arrival times, dealt with drunk and abusive passengers, confused and distressed passengers and made breakfast for 200 people at 125mph.

After spending over 30 years in my second job working in various clubs, pubs and other venues I’ve dealt with enough drunks, stabbings, assaults, 2 fatalities, faulty equipment, rude customers, stranded after gigs in different countries. Starting at 9:in my main job then finishing at 4 the next morning after my second job  before getting up to do it all over again 3 days on the trot for a good couple of years . So feel free to step into those shoes anytime. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sheffbag said:

After spending over 30 years in my second job working in various clubs, pubs and other venues I’ve dealt with enough drunks, stabbings, assaults, 2 fatalities, faulty equipment, rude customers, stranded after gigs in different countries. Starting at 9:in my main job then finishing at 4 the next morning after my second job  before getting up to do it all over again 3 days on the trot for a good couple of years . So feel free to step into those shoes anytime. 

You helped design Yorcard that was a flop and never heard of again. And you have the gall to tell me I'm not a retired transport worker. 🤦

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

You helped design Yorcard that was a flop and never heard of again. And you have the gall to tell me I'm not a retired transport worker. 🤦

Lol - but since you raised Yorcard here is how big a flop it was

Yorcard - which is still going processes;

All the smart transport data for Yorkshire and the Humber

Supplies over 800 buses and over 35 operators with equipment and support

Designed the app currently used in West Yorkshire which is responsible for over 80% of all smart purchases and transactions. i think the last tally so far this year since Jan 1 was just under half a million tickets sold. the app was nominated for Ticketing Technology of the year this year at the global transport awards

Enables smartcard production in South, West and North Yorkshire.

Designs the product definitions for ITSO complaint tickets within Yorkshire and The Humber

so yeah, that's a real flop isnt it.

I'll put it a different way, everyone who uses a smart card in South Yorkshire, uses it because of Yorcard. That big enough for you

Please do some research first before posting. 

Edited by sheffbag
  • Like 5