Oliver Coppard Lays Out Case For Bus Franchising In South Yorkshire

Guest busdriver1
2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

The MCA are vowing to operate even those commercially unviable routes as a cross-subsidy from the profitable ones, as I understand.

Something that is currently illegal for commercial operators, if they were actually making a profit that is.

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

Addition to that above:

The MCA are vowing to operate even those commercially unviable routes as a cross-subsidy from the profitable ones, as I understand.

Plus - at least there is a democratic process to the MCA, if they do 'punish' people then those people can vote out the mayor at the next election if they are unhappy. With the current private operators there's no such recourse.

Interesting - I wonder if that is legal - the private operators are legally not allowed to do that.

2nd paragraph - as if that would happen in S. Yorkshire. 😂

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

That's interesting, didn;t know that.

What legislation is that under? I'd be interested to read it!

Road traffic act 1986 or 85 not sure which one. 

1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

That's interesting, didn;t know that.

What legislation is that under? I'd be interested to read it!

That is why you don't make rash statements in support of political control of complex operations.

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, busdriver1 said:

Road traffic act 1986 or 85 not sure which one. 

It was introduced to prevent operators running intentionally at a loss to stifle competition, was particularly aimed at Stagecoach who did a lot of that

Just now, RollingJ said:

That is why you don't make rash statements in support of political control of complex operations.

I said I had an open mind and am always willing to learn more on subjects (which is a huge benefit of good discussions on forums!).

Even with this knowledge (thanks @busdriver1), I am still leaning in principle to allowing the MCA to run things.

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

I said I had an open mind and am always willing to learn more on subjects (which is a huge benefit of good discussions on forums!).

Even with this knowledge (thanks @busdriver1), I am still leaning in principle to allowing the MCA to run things.

Why?

Guest busdriver1
4 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

If Heaven forbids, this does go ahead please come back in 10 years and tell Me your views then. Remember the last time buses were under local control in South Yorkshire. Ministry of Transport visits putting 100's of buses off the road as death traps. Buses hired from operators the length and breadth of the country to fill in. Passenger safety a non event. 

Cheap fares followed by a half day out with the undertaker.

Edited by busdriver1

Just now, RollingJ said:

Why?

Because I don't drive and rely on public transport, which is woeful in Sheffield with services constantly reducing, awful buses, mixed messages in ticketing from different operators, late and missing buses, etc.

I actually physically dread using a bus in Sheffield, it is that bad.

Personally I see an opportunity for it to be centralised, simplified and generally improved. From my point of view, as a user, I don't think the current situation is very good.