Oliver Coppard Lays Out Case For Bus Franchising In South Yorkshire

1 minute ago, busdriver1 said:

If Heaven forbids, this does go ahead please come back in 10 years and tell Me your views then. Remember the last time buses were under local control in South Yorkshire. Ministry of Transport visits putting 100's of buses off the road as death traps. Buses hired from operators the length and breadth of the country to fill in. Passenger safety a non event. 

Cheap fares followed by a half day out with the undertaker.

You beat me to it. I had a similar 'discussion' with an ex-SCC employee, who has gone very quiet since I pointed that out to him.

4 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

If Heaven forbids, this does go ahead please come back in 10 years and tell Me your views then. Remember the last time buses were under local control in South Yorkshire. Ministry of Transport visits putting 100's of buses off the road as death traps. Buses hired from operators the length and breadth of the country to fill in. Passenger safety a non event. 

Cheap fares followed by a half day out with the undertaker.

I never died on a SYT bus. How many people did?

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

Because I don't drive and rely on public transport, which is woeful in Sheffield with services constantly reducing, awful buses, mixed messages in ticketing from different operators, late and missing buses, etc.

I actually physically dread using a bus in Sheffield, it is that bad.

Personally I see an opportunity for it to be centralised, simplified and generally improved. From my point of view, as a user, I don't think the current situation is very good.

So you are putting your faith in the MCA that through its predecessors has created this situation. Good call.

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

I never died on a SYT bus. How many people did?

But for the timely intervention of the traffic commissioners plenty could have. A rather childish response but hey we are where we are.

Guest busdriver1
Just now, SheffieldForum said:

I'm willing to see the report with an open mind and make a decision based on that.

Just remember there are lots of FACTS that are conveniently missing from their reports.

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

Because I don't drive and rely on public transport, which is woeful in Sheffield with services constantly reducing, awful buses, mixed messages in ticketing from different operators, late and missing buses, etc.

I actually physically dread using a bus in Sheffield, it is that bad.

Personally I see an opportunity for it to be centralised, simplified and generally improved. From my point of view, as a user, I don't think the current situation is very good.

I have always used public transport - for my whole 69 years - and I don't see what you appear to.

I also know, from experience, that a good service can be provided where councils and operators work together, with the councils saying what they would like, the operators saying what is possible, and a workable compromise being reached - but that depends on politicians who know next to nothing about the PSV industry being prepared to listen to people who do.

• Like 2

Just now, busdriver1 said:

But for the timely intervention of the traffic commissioners plenty could have. A rather childish response but hey we are where we are.

Admittedly it was a facetious response, but I'm not sure we're comparing apples with apples.  That was years ago and today is today.

What are your thoughts on Nottingham City Transport?

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

I have always used public transport - for my whole 69 years - and I don't see what you appear to.

I also know, from experience, that a good service can be provided where councils and operators work together, with the councils saying what they would like, the operators saying what is possible, and a workable compromise being reached - but that depends on politicians who know next to nothing about the PSV industry being prepared to listen to people who do.

Sorry but these people are experts and have done a local government course on providing buses that took a whole day. 

Guest busdriver1
2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Admittedly it was a facetious response, but I'm not sure we're comparing apples with apples.  That was years ago and today is today.

What are your thoughts on Nottingham City Transport?

A reasonable operation, not great,  but seem to be better grounded than for example Edinburgh.