Hearing Aid Prices

17 hours ago, Padders said:

Right, so I turned up at the Docs last Monday to have my ears syringed, previously the nurse told me to put drops of Olive Oil in my ears.

Me, of course, being a smart ass, went one better.

After managing to prise a £10 note out of my wallet, I purchased a bottle of Otex £4-99.

Got to the docs on Monday, and the nurse asked if I'd put Olive Oil in my ears.

With a sexy shake of my head, and the smuggest look I could conjure up, I told her no, only Peasants use cheap stuff...

Oh dear, she wasn't amused,

She went into great detail about them containing Peroxide, and she wouldn't be able to syringe them.

So I finished up with a flea in my ear!

Got to go back next Monday for another attempt, I've poured about a gallon of Olive Oil in them, hope that satisfies her.

That sir is utter cobblers!  That last time I needed my ears syringing I couldn’t get it done at the Gp surgery/nurse so went private because I desperate.  I had been using Otex because I’ve tried olive oil before and it’s just made the problem worse.  Anyway, the chap that syringed my ears did so with no problem and I told him I had used Otex.  No comments about peroxide causing problems!

He did say that if they get blocked again to just book an appointment and not bother putting drops of any kind in as they can remove the wax in one piece without syringing using a different a different and safer technique to syringing.  Personally though if a regularly use a few drops of Otex when they start to get a wax build up this stops them getting blocked in the first place.

Ear wax removal is one of those things where you definitely get the service you pay for. 

2 hours ago, pfifes said:

That sir is utter cobblers!  That last time I needed my ears syringing I couldn’t get it done at the Gp surgery/nurse so went private because I desperate.  I had been using Otex because I’ve tried olive oil before and it’s just made the problem worse.  Anyway, the chap that syringed my ears did so with no problem and I told him I had used Otex.  No comments about peroxide causing problems!

He did say that if they get blocked again to just book an appointment and not bother putting drops of any kind in as they can remove the wax in one piece without syringing using a different a different and safer technique to syringing.  Personally though if a regularly use a few drops of Otex when they start to get a wax build up this stops them getting blocked in the first place.

Ear wax removal is one of those things where you definitely get the service you pay for. 

That's what I thought Mr. Pfifes, I've had em syringed before, and always used proper eardrops.

10 hours ago, Padders said:

That's what I thought Mr. Pfifes, I've had em syringed before, and always used proper eardrops.

I think GP surgeries use every trick in the book to try and put people off from having ear wax removed.  Funny that private practitioners don’t come up with same ‘reasons’ for not doing it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, foxydebs said:

Both of the bits I posted are from private clinics that advise microsuction and not syringing and feel that otex is too harsh 

Used in accordance with the instructions it’s not too harsh for most people.  If it was it would be unsafe and banned!  The private clinic I went to (which was excellent) advised against any kind of oil or drops if they use a technique to remove the wax in one piece.  
Maybe oil works for some but I just find it makes the problem worse and clogs the ear up.  Earol is very gentle but not very effective either.