Council's Community Buildings Policy Proposals

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

I was born in the summer of 1995 but I know people who lived on there and know what they told me they seen with their own eyes. There is also a lot publicised online about Kelvin and Hyde Park in particular and antisocial behaviour that went on there.

So tales from your acquaintances somehow get mangled in your mind to all types of apartment living become desolate no go areas.   

Go visit cities like New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Toronto, Singapore, Tokyo, Dubai.  Closer to home, go look at some places around Camden, Angel, Islington, Shoreditch Spitalfields, Mailbox and St Pauls areas in Birmingham, Spinningfields and Deansgate in Manchester and even our own West One, HOC2, St Pauls and Kelham Island developments.   Areas filled with student and/or private residential apartments alongside a facilities, shopping and nightlife attracting both locals and visitors.  

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

You're very angry tonight . Is something troubling you ? 

Not particularly - just do what I have always done.   Call out obvious bull.   

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

Aren't people meant to live in city centres?

Think you'll find it's the norm in many cities throughout the world.

Not in small cities like Sheffield. When does it stop becoming a city centre and start becoming a housing estate? What else will there be on Waingate when the new tower goes up? Argos gone, Wilko gone, B&M in trouble, KFC will be demolished. It will be a housing estate and Sheffield city centre will get smaller.

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

So tales from your acquaintances somehow get mangled in your mind to all types of apartment living become desolate no go areas.   

Go visit cities like New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Toronto, Singapore, Tokyo, Dubai.  Closer to home, go look at some places around Camden, Angel, Islington, Shoreditch Spitalfields, Mailbox and St Pauls areas in Birmingham, Spinningfields and Deansgate in Manchester and even our own West One, HOC2, St Pauls and Kelham Island developments.   Areas filled with student and/or private residential apartments alongside a facilities, shopping and nightlife attracting both locals and visitors.  

Not particularly - just do what I have always done.   Call out obvious bull.   

Yeah , you proved that on another thread .. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Was walking from Rother Valley through there last year and had 3 girls aged around 16 swearing at me and my friend. Also lots of joy riders etc. Not a nice area and nothing to do with money because the houses round there must cost a bit, especially judging by the cars on the drives! It's a problem with making areas residential, people will be less inclined to visit. If they make Haymarket all flats then Sheffield city centre will get smaller.

Why?   Are they going to be redrawing the borders or something.   Or perhaps you are one of those with the delusion that a "city centre" only counts if its Shops and Restaurants.  

Do you also think that Central London is just Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus.    Do you think downtown New York just consists of Times Sq, Macys and the Empire State, 

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

Go visit cities like New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Toronto, Singapore, Tokyo, Dubai.  Closer to home, go look at some places around Camden, Angel, Islington,

Camden and Islington are North London, not Central London. Being the Capital, they are able to achieve a balanced mix of tourists and inner city living. The walk from Camden through Kentish Town to King's Cross/Saint Pancras, I would highly recommend. But then London is the Capital city with a population of 8 million and Camden has strong music links that interest people and Islington has the famous assembly hall etc. 

What good has the apartments behind Atkinson's on The Moor done? I know someone who lived there who was chased with an axe by a smackhead. 

• Like 1

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

Why?   Are they going to be redrawing the borders or something.   Or perhaps you are one of those with the delusion that a "city centre" only counts if its Shops and Restaurants.  

No, not just shops and restaurants. For example, Paternoster Row has no shops and not much in the way of restaurants but has The Showroom, art galleries and HQs and is very much part of the city centre. If you make a place overrun with tower blocks, it stops being a city centre and becomes a suburb. Waingate is already desolate as it is. The new tower will kill off any hope of reviving it as part of the city centre. How many high street stores open underneath tower blocks? 

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Camden and Islington are North London, not Central London. Being the Capital, they are able to achieve a balanced mix of tourists and inner city living. The walk from Camden through Kentish Town to King's Cross/Saint Pancras, I would highly recommend. But then London is the Capital city with a population of 8 million and Camden has strong music links that interest people and Islington has the famous assembly hall etc. 

What good has the apartments behind Atkinson's on The Moor done? I know someone who lived there who was chased with an axe by a smackhead. 

And people have been murdered in suburbs of all major cities.

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am well aware were Camden and Islington are.   I was responding to your nonsense that residential = undesirable to visitors and attracts trouble.     Do you want a reminder what you said in post #26.    Stop trying to move the goalposts when you get called out.  

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am well aware were Camden and Islington are.   I was responding to your nonsense that residential = undesirable to visitors and attracts trouble.     Do you want a reminder what you said in post #26.    Stop trying to move the goalposts when you get called out.  

I stand by what I said. If they turn Haymarket in to flats, very few people will visit and the gangs will start to appear. Especially as there are already plenty of them a stone's throw away on Burngreave.

• Like 1