New Traffic Enforcement Powers For The Council

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Tell your government then.

They’ve been talking about rolling out pavement parking powers to local authorities outside London for many years. No action yet though…

I have reported several vehicles to the police and if I see the drivers doing it, I will tell them off myself. I can't do any more than that. The local authorities need to pull their fingers out, stop pratting around with clean air zones targeted at bus companies and van drivers trying to make a living and start fining the cars that park all over the pavement and cause people, including wheelchair confined people to have to go in the road.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I’d prefer them to fine the idiots that drive straight through pedestrian crossings when the lights are red for drivers and the green man light is on for pedestrians.  

They should get charged with attempted murder for that. Very dangerous.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Fines definitely need to be issued for parking on the pavement and not just the ones currently being issued by a policeman when he can be bothered. We need dedicated council accredited Enforcement Officers. If you give people an inch, they will take a mile, so any car that mounts the kerb should be fined. Cars on roads, people on pavements. Simple and clear.

This could be a big revenue generator for the council as some people think pavements are car parking spaces.  A stupid driver recently parked full on the footpath near the Abbeydale Rd post office whilst I was actually walking on it and I had to move to avoid getting run over 🤬
There are circumstances where mounting the kerb a bit is ok if the road is narrow, it’s the lazy, entitled slobs that park completely on the pavement or when it’s not even necessary to avoid walking a few extra yards that are the problem.  Until they are fined they will keep doing it.  

3 minutes ago, pfifes said:

This could be a big revenue generator for the council as some people think pavements are car parking spaces.  A stupid driver recently parked full on the footpath near the Abbeydale Rd post office whilst I was actually walking on it and I had to move to avoid getting run over 🤬

I'd have stood there and not moved until the bloody thing was back on the road where it belongs. I've said for years it would be a great source of revenue for councils that are always complaining of being cash strapped. If they send a team of Officers up Burngreave, Page Hall & Abbeydale Road, they'll make a fortune.

10 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The local authorities need to pull their fingers out, stop pratting around with clean air zones targeted at bus companies and van drivers trying to make a living and start fining the cars that park all over the pavement and cause people, including wheelchair confined people to have to go in the road.

Which part of councils not having the powers to enforce on pavement parking is it that you don’t understand?

Councils can only enforce what the government lets them, as I’ve said numerous times.

Also, as far as air quality goes, is the concept of “polluter pays” lost on you? Buses, trucks and taxis are the biggest polluters.

Councils are only “pratting about” as you put it with CAZ’s because the government has made them  do it.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

I'd have stood there and not moved until the bloody thing was back on the road where it belongs. I've said for years it would be a great source of revenue for councils that are always complaining of being cash strapped. If they send a team of Officers up Burngreave, Page Hall & Abbeydale Road, they'll make a fortune.

They would make a fortune going to any busy, suburban shopping streets anywhere in Sheffield!  Or around schools during the school run times.  
It would actually make a real difference to people and encourage more ‘active travel’ that the council are always banging on about.  I’d much prefer that than fining for marginal mistakes at box junctions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Also, as far as air quality goes, is the concept of “polluter pays” lost on you? Buses, trucks and taxis are the biggest polluters.

If pollution really was a problem, which I don't believe it is, it would surely be logical for them to go after private cars, instead of buses that can carry 50 people thus taking 50 cars out of use. 50 cars release more emissions than one bus. It doesn't make sense.

Pavement Parking:

Operation Park Safe is still ongoing in certain areas and people can report pavement parking and certain illegally parked cars and if you report it correctly the police will enforce it from your photos without attending.

More info: https://southyorks.police.uk/media/11653/operation-park-safe.pdf

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Pavement Parking:

Operation Park Safe is still ongoing in certain areas and people can report pavement parking and certain illegally parked cars and if you report it correctly the police will enforce it from your photos without attending.

More info: https://southyorks.police.uk/media/11653/operation-park-safe.pdf

Thank you. That's most useful. Let's get snapping 📸 and get these selfish cretins fined.

8 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

If pollution really was a problem, which I don't believe it is, it would surely be logical for them to go after private cars, instead of buses that can carry 50 people thus taking 50 cars out of use. 50 cars release more emissions than one bus. It doesn't make sense.

So, according to you there aren’t any exceedences of legal limits for nitrogen dioxide and the government weren’t instructed by the courts to fix them in the shortest possible time?