Is The Uk Ready For War ?

The one thing I was looking for in today's Budget was spending on defence maybe I have missed it but so far I  have found nothing.

The Russian invasion of Ukraine and Gaza get the most media attraction but there are many other flash points in the world that are bubbling away just waiting  for someone to make a wrong move.  A mistake like for an example a poorly trained Russian soldier fires a missile that lands in a NATO country remember the West's panic when a rocket landed in Poland that killed two people Europe and America held its breath until it was confirmed it was a Ukrainian rocket not  Russian one after all.

The Armed Forces budget has been cut over the last 14 years with many projects cancelled  ,time that should have been spent bolstering defences and development of new weapon technologies.

If Trump wins the Presidential election he has already said that he would cut or remove funding for Ukraine leaving Europe to fund it which I suspect in time will be scaled down. 

If things come to ahead do you think we are prepared on the military and civil front? 

Edited by GabrielC

The UK is more ready for war than all other European countries.  Over £55 billion defence budget which is about 3% of GDP.  The French defence budget is less than 2% .  The weakest link appears to be the Germans judging by the revelation  this week. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cressida said:

Trump us correct,  if war is in the offing he and the UK need a full armoury as times are uncertain and it could be risky to take sides.

He is correct because too many NATO countries are not paying their fair share. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

The one thing I was looking for in today's Budget was spending on defence maybe I have missed it but so far I  have found nothing.

The Russian invasion of Ukraine and Gaza get the most media attraction but there are many other flash points in the world that are bubbling away just waiting  for someone to make a wrong move.  A mistake like for an example a poorly trained Russian soldier fires a missile that lands in a NATO country remember the West's panic when a rocket landed in Poland that killed two people Europe and America held its breath until it was confirmed it was a Ukrainian rocket not  Russian one after all.

The Armed Forces budget has been cut over the last 14 years with many projects cancelled  ,time that should have been spent bolstering defences and development of new weapon technologies.

If Trump wins the Presidential election he has already said that he would cut or remove funding for Ukraine leaving Europe to fund it which I suspect in time will be scaled down. 

If things come to ahead do you think we are prepared on the military and civil front? 

My bold.

No. Absolutely not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cressida said:

Trump us correct,  if war is in the offing he and the UK need a full armoury as times are uncertain and it could be risky to take sides.

The United States and Europe have already taken sides by placing sanctions on Russia and giving military aid to Ukraine. Trump is making a political point in the cost of aid to use against Biden . Trump - we could use that money for our own Biden is giving it away. 

14 minutes ago, Axe said:

The UK is more ready for war than all other European countries.  Over £55 billion defence budget which is about 3% of GDP.  The French defence budget is less than 2% .  The weakest link appears to be the Germans judging by the revelation  this week. 

£55 billion might sound good but in war that would soon be eaten up. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

The United States and Europe have already taken sides by placing sanctions on Russia and giving military aid to Ukraine. Trump is making a political point in the cost of aid to use against Biden . Trump - we could use that money for our own Biden is giving it away. 

Of course, it pretty much all gets spent buying stuff from US companies. Biden spends the money supporting US jobs. What would Trump do with it? Give the super rich more tax cuts?

We are most definitely NOT ready and don't have enough manpower,   arms for land air and sea,  and  most especially,  factories to produces ammunitions of all kinds.

Sheffield in fact was a major producer of armour plate, bombs, shells, naval guns etc and engineering  parts for planes,  ships and tanks.

We already know how easy it is to stop military supplies,  and food,  from coming  in by sea.

8 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

We are most definitely NOT ready and don't have enough manpower,   arms for land air and sea,  and  most especially,  factories to produces ammunitions of all kinds.

Sheffield in fact was a major producer of armour plate, bombs, shells, naval guns etc and engineering  parts for planes,  ships and tanks.

We already know how easy it is to stop military supplies,  and food,  from coming  in by sea.

Correct we need more arms industry back not less. Solder numbers are at an all time low not exactly battle ready are we.