Aldi Bag Search

23 hours ago, Rollypolly said:

No, swallownest. I know I shouldn't take it personally but that's what it feels like.  🤬

The most annoying thing must be that you had your bag checked and the person behind you didn't....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

They once searched me and found a hybrid tea rose bush. I told them it was a plant.

You should have told them to leaf you alone 😬

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

In defence of the charges on plastic bags, as someone who does regular litter picking the number of plastic bags I pick up has massively reduced. Goes to show how unpredictable people can be - they'll waste money on any old crap (like vapes) but balk at spending 10p on a bag. Now I pick up loads of used disposable vapes instead.

Very commendable Delbow :thumbsup:

My point, your (we're all) paying twice for that bag.

Shops never bought bags then give them away.

Even the humble traditional white sandwich bag cost money.

This derelict building on Sidney St is where we bought our sandwich bags in the 70's.

Marsden Chas & Son. (Rivelin paper works) Paper bag mfrs.

Sidney Street - Sheffield History Chat - Sheffield History - Sheffield ...

21 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

They once searched me and found a hybrid tea rose bush. I told them it was a plant.

Hmmm... :huh:

So I suppose they must have thought you were a tea leaf? :suspect:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Delbow said:

In defence of the charges on plastic bags, as someone who does regular litter picking the number of plastic bags I pick up has massively reduced. Goes to show how unpredictable people can be - they'll waste money on any old crap (like vapes) but balk at spending 10p on a bag. Now I pick up loads of used disposable vapes instead.

It’s more about the supermarkets profiteering

Bags were free.

the 10p charge was government led to reduce people using un recyclable plastic bags - fair enough. 

So what did the super markets do. change the bags to recyclable - and charge you for em!!

On 07/03/2024 at 15:44, Rollypolly said:

Just been to Aldi and the checkout assistant asked to look in my bags. When I asked why she said because a lot of money was walking out of the doors. Now I didn't argue with her because I know she was only doing as she had been told. However I noticed the person behind me didn't have to open his bag. I came away feeling quite aggrieved, I hadn't done anything to make anyone think I'd stolen something. I can understand that theft must be a big problem but really, is the answer to treat the customer like a  thief. If this subject has already been raised I apologise, but I just feel so angry.

Probably a random check. 

Can't check everyone so may just do it by chance for no other reason than to deter others. 

However this needs to be politely explained to avoid offending people. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mkapaka said:

It’s more about the supermarkets profiteering

Bags were free.

the 10p charge was government led to reduce people using un recyclable plastic bags - fair enough. 

So what did the super markets do. change the bags to recyclable - and charge you for em!!

Bags were never 'free' they were costed into the price of your purchase.

Has the price of shopping gone down since the charge for bags was introduced?

simple answer No.

Exactly the same for condiments. Do Greggs charge you extra for that brown sauce on your bacon and sausage baguette.

No its costed for already.

If they started selling in those silly sachets would the price of the sandwich go down ? of course it wouldn't.

Keep safe out there and eat wisely 8).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Bags were never 'free' they were costed into the price of your purchase.

Has the price of shopping gone down since the charge for bags was introduced?

simple answer No.

Exactly the same for condiments. Do Greggs charge you extra for that brown sauce on your bacon and sausage baguette.

No its costed for already.

If they started selling in those silly sachets would the price of the sandwich go down ? of course it wouldn't.

Keep safe out there and eat wisely 8).

True but people aren’t as wasteful with unnecessary plastic bags now so not a bad thing.

On 07/03/2024 at 17:06, ECCOnoob said:

Do you 'feel insulted' when a ticket inspector checks your tickets on a train.   Do you 'feel insulted' when an usher checks your tickets before entering a theatre or when you have to suffer the indignity of having to go through a barrier somewhere.  Do you 'feel insulted' having to display your proof of purchase on the windscreen in a pay car park.....

Sounds like a you problem.  

You had a receipt, showed it to the guard and went on your way.  Seriously what is the problem.  Talk about an overreaction.  

What if they had something personal in their bag that wasn't ALDI stock, e.g. incontinence pants or heamarroid cream?