Aldi Bag Search

2 hours ago, redruby said:

All I can say is that I don’t care about any tactics that single me out personally and cause inconvenience.  I think that’s probably similar to most people who have raised concerns. So for example, I’ve no problem with stores using security tags if they have an efficient system for removing these at checkout.  I do however have a problem if there are self checkouts and no staff available to remove them. Or if you go to staffed till and staff don’t remove them and you end up activating an alarm.  I know we all make mistakes but this seems to happen too frequently- I recently sat in a cafe at Meadowhall and saw 3 customers have the alarm go off.  None of them had pinched stuff as they all immediately turned round and went back in to get it removed as no member of staff was near the door. All in the time it took to drink a coffee.

What annoys me about Tesco is all of their self service tills are card only and the manned tills is often not manned, so I often have to wait. But then I've started seeing people using the manned till and paying card. 🤦 They should make the manned till cash only, as it's bad enough having to wait for the one member of staff to serve us. 

I don't mind the security tags, they keep the scumbags from stealing I suppose. I do find it humourous when I see blocks of cheese with them on or jars of coffee. 

29 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

What annoys me about Tesco is all of their self service tills are card only and the manned tills is often not manned, so I often have to wait. But then I've started seeing people using the manned till and paying card. 🤦 They should make the manned till cash only, as it's bad enough having to wait for the one member of staff to serve us. 

I don't mind the security tags, they keep the scumbags from stealing I suppose. I do find it humourous when I see blocks of cheese with them on or jars of coffee. 

I don’t mind self service tills, they are good for if you are just buying a few bits and don’t want to get stuck behind a slow person.  I always use a staffed till for a trolley load or if buying alcohol or anything else that needs age verification.

I don’t think making the staff tilled cash only would work.  What they could do though is stop phasing out cash on self service!

I don’t mind the tags as long as there are staff to remove them and they aren’t careless and forget. 

Edited by redruby

13 hours ago, pfifes said:

Believe it or not, some people wouldn’t be happy at being singled out as ‘suspicious’ even though it’s a sometimes apparently a random check.  Just suppose you bought a large jar of pile cream and some laxatives and were asked to have your bags searched in a busy shop.  And the guard picked up the jar of pile cream and packet of laxatives whilst everyone was looking and ask of you had a receipt?  What if your neighbours saw and started smirking or chuckling? And then the word got around your neighbourhood that you were suspected of shoplifting and have piles and constipation?  You are not telling me you wouldn’t be bothered about that?

That is brilliant.

You ever thought of stand up comedy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why argue about it ?

It's easy for everyone to be happy without having to prove a point to those who wish to sneer.

Just stay out of Aldi if they're getting up your nose, as some already do.

If you  don't mind their antics,  you can carry on using them.

We should show the shops,  and everyone else,   that  the shoppers are the ones with all the power and can decide who thrives and who doesn't.

41 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Why argue about it ?

It's easy for everyone to be happy without having to prove a point to those who wish to sneer.

Just stay out of Aldi if they're getting up your nose, as some already do.

If you  don't mind their antics,  you can carry on using them.

We should show the shops,  and everyone else,   that  the shoppers are the ones with all the power and can decide who thrives and who doesn't.

On the contrary.

The big shops have all the power, they are cheaper than the small businesses, 99% of folk will go to where they can get better deals.

It's why supermarkets are taking over, worldwide.

I highly doubt a struggling family will become Citizen Smith and shout " power to the people" then spend more on groceries at the local green grosers

Edited by Al Bundy

14 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

On the contrary.

The big shops have all the power, they are cheaper than the small businesses, 99% of folk will go to where they can get better deals.

It's why supermarkets are taking over, worldwide.

I highly doubt a struggling family will become Citizen Smith and shout " power to the people" then spend more on groceries at the local green grosers

There more to life than "cheaper" and it's quite possible to do without anything on a fairly temporary basis  -  it doesn't take them long to learn when they are losing money.

It's actually the attitude that you display which encourages big business to do as they please.

I can mange perfectly well without Aldi  -  I could also manage perfectly well without any of the big supermarkets too.

I'm NOT struggling and,   YOU keep telling us that people are NOT struggling   -   perhaps you should make your mind up on that one.

Yes there are people struggling as I've done in my younger days but that doesn't mean allowing others to dictate.

6 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

The one near me has some cash/card self service.  People tend to pay with card if they are doing a big shop.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

Are there any local green grocers left ?

Diminishing but still some around. 

*Fruit - A -Peel, Fulwood Road

*Just Natural, Crookes

*Borough Veg, Middlewood Road

*Crystal Peaks Market Greengrocer