Aldi Bag Search

50 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

What if they had something personal in their bag that wasn't ALDI stock, e.g. incontinence pants or heamarroid cream?

Well exactly. 

Like it or not many people will feel embarrassed that they have been stopped by a store detective / security guard.

There's no right or wrong to feelings. You just feel them.

But judging by his posts, Ecconoob was on a mission to have a go

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Well exactly. 

Like it or not many people will feel embarrassed that they have been stopped by a store detective / security guard.

There's no right or wrong to feelings. You just feel them.

But judging by his posts, Ecconoob was on a mission to have a go

Yes, there is that too. Some people have used the example of having their train ticket inspected and people not minding that. But the thing is, everyone's train ticket is inspected. The OP said he felt singled out in ALDI. And again, if it was a female, they may have tampons in their bag. I wouldn't want some random security personnel knowing my menstrual situation. It sounds more like an army camp than a supermarket. 

I have never worked in a retail store that has a security guard but when I go in to stores, I see the security staff often chatting away, sat down, not really looking at who is putting what where. Surely a more customer friendly option would be to observe who is putting things in to their bags and trying to walk out with them. 

8 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

What if they had something personal in their bag that wasn't ALDI stock, e.g. incontinence pants or heamarroid cream?

Yes, it’s all very well ‘they’re only doing their job’ and ‘it’s just picking someone at random’ and ‘no different to checking train tickets’, but there trouble is that the people doing these checks are generally not on the top end of the pay scale and therefore don’t have the motivation/skills/ability/resources to accurately pick out real shoplifters.  Instead they work using stereotypes and generalisations.  So if you take your own shopping bags and maybe don’t look your smartest because you’ve just been out dog walking or are feeling a bit under the weather or just in rush  you are more likely to be ‘randomly picked’.  And even if you think this is acceptable do you think it’s very effective?  I’m not too sure.  It might well catch a few hiding something expensive under the shopping they pay for but I suspect the shoplifting gangs are more savvy than to get caught like this.  And it’s them that are causing the most stock loss. So no many of their innocent customers aren’t going to be happy having staff rifling through their bags which might contain personal items like a jar of pile cream as Irene has pointed out!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Yes, there is that too. Some people have used the example of having their train ticket inspected and people not minding that. But the thing is, everyone's train ticket is inspected. The OP said he felt singled out in ALDI. And again, if it was a female, they may have tampons in their bag. I wouldn't want some random security personnel knowing my menstrual situation. It sounds more like an army camp than a supermarket. 

I have never worked in a retail store that has a security guard but when I go in to stores, I see the security staff often chatting away, sat down, not really looking at who is putting what where. Surely a more customer friendly option would be to observe who is putting things in to their bags and trying to walk out with them. 

I once walked out of Boots with a packet of Durex in my hand.

A lady security guard stopped me and said "Have you paid for them"  I said "Yes miss, I've got the receipt"

She snapped back, "Ok, and don't miss me"

So I said "I'd best buy another packet then"

• Haha 2

This is sort of related and honestly it doesn’t seem to be happening quite as often but it did again last Wednesday i was in Lidl and amongst the dog food and mundane stuff I had there was a litre bottle of Lidl’s version of Pernod not bad at 18 quid and an XXL pack of chicken breast,I got the usual do you want the receipt from the woman she’s really nice and chatty so I said yes please on the way out the alarms go off she’s forgotten to take the security off the chicken I think so I turned round and every till person was staring at me the one who served me shouted sorry it’s ok so I left. Jump to yesterday I had to nip in for garlic and a packet of red lentils that was all but at the till the bloke said do you want your receipt? I says I will do the amount of times the alarm goes off in here when I leave I won’t leave without it anymore,good grief the look he gave me was like I had crapped in his coffee.

On 07/03/2024 at 17:33, Mister M said:

So it's a me problem, only when it's about me then :rolleyes:

Anyway - I hadn't been stopped before going into Sports Direct, and I haven't been stopped since going into Sports Direct.

Have explained why I felt insulted

You said earlier that you would not go into sports direct again ....?????

1 hour ago, gaz678 said:

Ha.  Looks like their "vow" in post #5 lasted long then.

Almost as if their cries of feeling "insulted" was just a load of over reactionary nonsense.

2 hours ago, gaz678 said:

I haven't. 

I probably didn't express myself very well: "I haven't been stopped since going into Sports Direct" meant I haven't been stopped by a security guard since going into Sports Direct on that only occasion.

Edited by Mister M

7 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Ha.  Looks like their "vow" in post #5 lasted long then.

Almost as if their cries of feeling "insulted" was just a load of over reactionary nonsense.

See above. 

Not reactionary nonsense. I leave that you.

Edited by Mister M

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

See above. 

Not reactionary nonsense. I leave that you.

I have seen the above and it still barely makes any sense. 

Regardless, you haven't really provided a sufficient explanation of why you feel "insulted" by a routine check from a  security guard doing their job. What are you going to do if it happens on other occasions, boycott every shop on the high street until you run out? 

How do you feel if you get randomly selected for recheck at a self checkout.... or if you just happened to be in the same aisle as a security guard?   Do you feel just as "insulted" when you are were walking to the store and the camera starts glowing red and turns in your direction as you pass it?  How about when a person behind the counter chooses to check your bank note or runs it under a UV light?

Are you going to cry and whinge if you are randomly selected for a customs check at the airport - vouching you will never step foot in that airport again? 

Will you be robustly objecting to a random search because there may be frilly knickers or thrush cream in your bag that might be embarrassing, hmmm, might ultimately be a bit less embarrassing than rubber gloves time.....