Transforming Travel In The City Centre

10 minutes ago, pfifes said:

You will just accused of ‘moaning’.

I remember going back quite some time ago (certainly more than 5 years) having to run the gauntlet avoiding chuggers on Fargate.  They even had them INSIDE WHSmith at one point 🤬

Also the begging and anti-social behaviour has steadily got worse over the years. 

Looking a bit shabby is the least concern I've had about Fargate.  I would just like to be able to walk through it without being harassed for money by a beggar or a chugger.  But apparently this makes me a moaner.  Well, no I don’t believe it does actually, a lot of people feel the same.  You can spend and spend trying to get Fargate looking nice but if it’s swarming with chuggers and beggars it just isn’t a nice place to be for many people 

One proud "moaner" to another. 💪

Begging is a huge problem and unacceptable in any street. There are organisations such as The Salvation Army on Charter Row for those genuinely in need. When East Midlands Trains (Stagecoach) were in charge of Sheffield Station, they highly publicised the "Help Us Help" campaign that worked to eradicate public beggars and supported means testing charities. It clamped down on beggars on the concourse rather effectively. Ofcourse the woke labour run Sheffield CC think we should all be bowing down and kissing the p*ss soaked shoes of people who beg and scrounge, so sadly the Help Us Help campaign is highly unlikely to be publicised by SCC. 

And as for WHSmith well if they wanted to reduce their footfall even more than the rapid decline over the years, putting chuggers in the doorway is the right way to go about it!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Once in 30 years isn’t that bad.

Also, it isn’t just changing paving — it’s a fundamental change to the street scene, including services, landscaping, greenery and more. And the changes to the units and upper floors themselves.

It is a far bigger change than the previous one a whole generation ago.

I wonder how long the cobbled streets in continental Europe have been there?  The ones that inspired Sheffield council to emulate them here. I’ll be honest, I don’t know but I suspect they weren’t laid down and ripped up 30 years later when they were no longer flavour of the month.  

The greenery is indeed a nice idea.  But I do hope it’s maintained properly or it won’t stay nice.  And  that it is left to mature and not ripped up for some future vanity project when someone decides we need to ‘refurbish’ the city centre.  
The council evidently thought it would be nice to plant trees on Fargate once to add greenery but then decided to chop them down for this latest project.  I never understand why planners like planting spindly little saplings but when they do over time actually grow large enough to be attractive they are chomping at the bit to chop them down!!

• Like 2

As a single disabled person who can't walk far and relies on a car to get around, how can I get to enjoy Sheffield city centre? Not a complaint, but just wondering whether provision for people like me has been given any consideration? 

A mobility scooter is not viable as I wouldn't be able to get it in and out of a car boot by myself. 

Any ideas?

24 minutes ago, Anna B said:

As a single disabled person who can't walk far and relies on a car to get around, how can I get to enjoy Sheffield city centre? Not a complaint, but just wondering whether provision for people like me has been given any consideration? 

A mobility scooter is not viable as I wouldn't be able to get it in and out of a car boot by myself. 

Any ideas?

The first photo in the thread is nice, isn't it?  Lots of fit young people on their cycles, mingling with other fit young people striding about in the sun.  No unsightly old people littering up the place and spoiling the view while they dodder about looking for the nearest public toilets (closed to make way for an enclosed, rain-proof cycle park and a vegan gin bar).

I see your point, @Hecateand to some degree agree with the sentiment, but you have to realise the individuals who create these 'idyllic' scenes are themselves young individuals with no real idea of the world, and they are given the task of making the ideas of others - with equal lack of awareness - as 'appealing' as possible.

The fact that they into advertising, rather than real life means they are about as much use as a pedal cycle on a 1-in-3 hill - going uphill.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Any ideas?

A car with no seats at the back whereby you can just pull it out and wheel it in,  or seats which fold down - could you handle a ramp?

46 minutes ago, Hecate said:

The first photo in the thread is nice, isn't it?  Lots of fit young people on their cycles, mingling with other fit young people striding about in the sun.  No unsightly old people littering up the place and spoiling the view while they dodder about looking for the nearest public toilets (closed to make way for an enclosed, rain-proof cycle park and a vegan gin bar).

Morning Hecate & spot on :thumbsup: 

Moved out years ago but have been visiting Mum more the last month or so.

She has her favourite benches, cafe's and Toilets in the town centre.

Housing department toilets, great, clean toilets, but come on despite security staff, drug dealers openly plying their trade in and around the main entrance :suspect:.

The mix of cyclist, pedestrians and shoppers doesn't work.

There can't be many cyclist who actually go 'Shopping'.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Any ideas?

Try shopmobility on Eldon Street. They hire out electric scooters

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

The mix of cyclist, pedestrians and shoppers doesn't work.

There can't be many cyclist who actually go 'Shopping'.

Seems to work perfectly well in many places. Why not here.

The city centre isn’t just about shopping. Thousands of people live in the city centre, work there and visit for education, business etc.

There are studies which indicate that people who arrive on foot or by cycle actually spend more over a period than those who arrive by car.

• Like 1