Stabbings in Sheffield

13 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

At one time, the only people you'd see at 3.20 AM were us milkmen on their way to work,

or the 'Dirty stop outs' slinking back home 😀

With all due respect, Rockers, we should be able to go out and about at any time of day, without fear of being stabbed.

1 hour ago, Palomar said:

Them old jukeboxes, especially the valve ones, sounded great. My mate Curly put Deep Purple's Child In Time on in the Ship and landlady Jeanette shouted, 'who's put this on, it's s**t', so Curly put 10 bob in the Jukebox and cued it up for 2 more plays.

Jeanette Rodgers, landlady of The Ship Inn, Shalesmoor, 2006.jpeg

Do you remember the old chain driven one in the Old Light Horesman a bit further towards Hillsborough at the start of Penistone Road?

Remember Jeanette  from when she went to Notre Dame and caught the 60 bus with a girl from Stocksbridge who I went out with for a while back in the mid 70's. Wasn't her dad called Cyril?

33 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Do you remember the old chain driven one in the Old Light Horesman a bit further towards Hillsborough at the start of Penistone Road?

Remember Jeanette  from when she went to Notre Dame and caught the 60 bus with a girl from Stocksbridge who I went out with for a while back in the mid 70's. Wasn't her dad called Cyril?

Ay Kath & Cyril, they ran the pub from the early '60s, then Jeanette & Steve took over about '87.

I never went in the Old Light Horseman I'm afraid, was it near the Bottom Welly?

17 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Ay Kath & Cyril, they ran the pub from the early '60s, then Jeanette & Steve took over about '87.

I never went in the Old Light Horseman I'm afraid, was it near the Bottom Welly?

Not far from the bottom Welly but on l/h side of Penistone Road just out of town  from where the Shalesmoor / Penistone Road / Hoyle Street roundabout is now. Back in the day  (late ish 70's) it was one of the few pubs that end of town with hand pulled beer (Tetleys).

6 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Are you saying that if you stood on The Ponderosa at 3AM in 1998, you'd only see milkmen?

You've lost me there Irene.

Where does 1998 come into it :huh:

If you'd have read #4 & #6 in obtaining your daily quota of posts, you'd have known I was talking about the 1970's & early 80's.

My point was, back then, there was only us early risers going to work at that time in a morning. 

Times have changed.

For a start off, there ain't no milkmen now (only a few independents).

Those going for the bus 'T' pit in Pond St are no more thanks to Mrs T.

The nightshift workers coming home from the cutlery trade / Steel Works are no more thanks to Chinese imports.

Instead, Thanks to the good old US of A (because what ever they have first we also have to have), drugs, muggings and murders. 

Keep safe out there 8)