Acquired Tastes

Are there things that you tried and didn't really like but persevered for whatever reason and now really like? I didn't used to like whisky but could tell there were aspects of the flavours that I could get on board with, and was aware that there's huge variety in how different whiskies taste, so tried a few. Now I like it a bit too much if anything 😬

Yellow bean paste, used in Chinese cooking, is another one. A really strong taste and you can tell it's been fermented, it has that slightly gassy taste to it. I wasn't sure to start with but I'd bought a whole jar, and now I really like it, especially if you put something a bit sweet in the source as well. 

• Like 1

Avocados. Hated them to begin with, then when I gave up smoking, for whatever reason, I started to get a taste for them. Now I love guacamole. Perhaps it was the texture that put me off

Pesto - When I first tried it, it was way too strong. Now I love it stirred in pasta.

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 1

spicy stuff, couldnt stand spicy stuff when i first met the missus in the 80s, she used to sneakily add it in without telling me, now i barely have foods with out spicy stuff in, more than the missus does, i always have a hot sauce in the fridge, and normally a jar of jalepenos too

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

spicy stuff, couldnt stand spicy stuff when i first met the missus in the 80s, she used to sneakily add it in without telling me, now i barely have foods with out spicy stuff in, more than the missus does, i always have a hot sauce in the fridge, and normally a jar of jalepenos too

Jalepenos, hot sauce, garlic of all descpriptions, granules ect are a must. 🤭

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Jalepenos, hot sauce, garlic of all descpriptions, granules ect are a must. 🤭

in fact think im gonna cook tonight since im off, i fancy my speciality, veggie sausage casserole (chopped up veggie sausages, onions, kidney beans in a chilli sauce, and a spoonful of mustard and a spoonful of chilli flakes, then layered on top some sliced potatoes and at the end smear some mustard on top)

YUM

• Like 1

Mussels !

I think the look of them used to put me off when my mum used to have them but once I actually tried them it was another story.

Whelks not so much so.

• Like 1