Acquired Tastes

Marmite, I wasn’t very keen the first time I tried a small amount on a teaspoon. A few years later I was told by a friend who liked marmite, it’s good for you and full of B vitamins, so I decided to try it again on a slice of buttered toast and I enjoyed it.

They say there’s no middle ground with marmite, you either love it or loath it. I’m one of those who love it.

4 hours ago, melthebell said:

spicy stuff, couldnt stand spicy stuff when i first met the missus in the 80s, she used to sneakily add it in without telling me, now i barely have foods with out spicy stuff in, more than the missus does, i always have a hot sauce in the fridge, and normally a jar of jalepenos too

Exactly the same as me when younger . Now it's Jalepenos on most things , even been known to liven up beans on toast with them . 😀

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Exactly the same as me when younger . Now it's Jalepenos on most things , even been known to liven up beans on toast with them . 😀

I like good old Hendies on beans on toast

1 hour ago, cressida said:

You have specified cats and garden centres,  it's well known that some people suffer allergies to both - is that the problem?

It's well known that cats and garden centers evolved from the same primordial ancestor over 250 million years ago, so that makes total sense.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Delbow said:

Are there things that you tried and didn't really like but persevered for whatever reason and now really like? I didn't used to like whisky but could tell there were aspects of the flavours that I could get on board with, and was aware that there's huge variety in how different whiskies taste, so tried a few. Now I like it a bit too much if anything 😬

It was whisky for me too, but only because for a number of years I'd only tried the blends my dad used to drink. Then, when I could afford to buy my own, I discovered single malts – the peaty, smoky ones from Islay – and there was no looking back.

I also love jalapeños, as do others on this thread, but have done so from the first time I tried them, so they they aren't exactly an 'acquired taste" for me.

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Marmite, I wasn’t very keen the first time I tried a small amount on a teaspoon. A few years later I was told by a friend who liked marmite, it’s good for you and full of B vitamins, so I decided to try it again on a slice of buttered toast and I enjoyed it.

They say there’s no middle ground with marmite, you either love it or loath it. I’m one of those who love it.

thats because youre not meant to eat it off a spoon, its a bit harsh, i put a small bit in gravy or stock, and like you say thinly spread on toast. its a great source of B12