Acquired Tastes

5 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Far from it Hackey, it's just I couldn't afford the booze, cigars, sugar & milk after buying all the cars and bikes 😀.

Keep safe out there 8).

Or after feeding all the kids and grandkids 😀

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Black olives.   

Really disliked the taste so for 40 years just ate green ones then about a year ago I had a black olive and it was lovely.  Bought black ever since.

Have you ever tried those Turkish 'breakfast' olives? Black, a bit shriveled, really strong flavour, salty. I really like olives but those ones are a bit much even for me. I used to live opposite a shop that sold them and could eat them but never really acquired the taste.

Talking of black and salty, I wasn't sure about salt liquorice to start with but now I love it, the saltier the better.

Actual tomatoes.  All my life I've eaten tomato soup & ketchup but actual tomatoes, hated the taste until about 7 or 8 years ago.  Similarly love mushrooms but mushroom soup makes me gip. 

As some have mentioned whisky, a bottle of Tamdhu for me & if you've never had sour cream & onion Pringles, you've not lived

As for a sandwich, tuna & apple sauce.  Food of the Gods. 

Edited by Baron99

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

Actual tomatoes.  All my life I've eaten tomato soup & ketchup but actual tomatoes, hated the taste until about 7 or 8 years ago.  Similarly love mushrooms but mushroom soup makes me gip. 

As some have mentioned whisky, a bottle of Tamdhu for me & if you've never had sour cream & onion Pringles, you've not lived

As for a sandwich, tuna & apple sauce.  Food of the Gods. 

Tuna and apple sauce :gag:  . Are you pregnant ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Tuna and apple sauce :gag:  . Are you pregnant ?

Trust me it works.  Mix a tin of tuna, (make sure its only in spring water which you drain off beforehand), with about 5 or 6 teaspoons of apple sauce / puree to taste.  First heard chef James Martin going on about it years ago so thought I'd give it a try. 

11 hours ago, Delbow said:

Have you ever tried those Turkish 'breakfast' olives? Black, a bit shriveled, really strong flavour, salty. I really like olives but those ones are a bit much even for me. I used to live opposite a shop that sold them and could eat them but never really acquired the taste.

Talking of black and salty, I wasn't sure about salt liquorice to start with but now I love it, the saltier the better.

To be honest I've no idea what type of olive I buy, being a typical Yorkshire chap I always buy whichever is on offer.

Yesterday I bought 150g ( small container) of green olives for 50p in a supermarket in Bulgaria 

I have some friends around tonight and they only like green olives!!

10 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Trust me it works.  Mix a tin of tuna, (make sure its only in spring water which you drain off beforehand), with about 5 or 6 teaspoons of apple sauce / puree to taste.  First heard chef James Martin going on about it years ago so thought I'd give it a try. 

I’m going to give it a try, I do like tuna. I  normally buy it in sunflower oil but next time will buy it in spring water. 

We couldn't be that fussy to turn food away.

I did have a problem with sweet corn when I was very young.

No idea why, the reasoning's lost in the midst's of time.

We ate what was in front of us (and it was there at supper time if we didn't) and it was good.

(Although I do remember eating a lot of scrambled eggs, chips and salad cream as a kid).

Chicken casserole in't t'oven as  I type 'll last two days (4 meals) cheap enough to do, with no waste. 

Even the gravy 'll get mopped up with a slice or two of bread.

And that's the point we (our generation) didn't waste.

Keep safe out there and eat wisely,

it's good for the overhang waistline :blush: 

Avoid ready meals & chicken nuggets  8)

• Thanks 1