Tp-Link

5 minutes ago, smary said:

Now I'm totally confused! 

@smaryAs I don't know what modem/router EE supply these days, can you post the make/model details (usually found on the label/plate on the back/bottom), then we may be able to advise properly.

Edited by RollingJ

I am going down a different route. Moving the router nearer the annex and hope I can pick up a signal when that's done. 

I realise it's difficult to understand what's happening in a post. I am willing to try things but I don't understand the wordngs. For instance I thought wps meant wifi and if I followed the details for using tp link it would work, now I read wps has to be enabled. I assumed it was. My other problem is I'm a Sheffield lass but living in a small village in Cornwall with nobody knowledgeable  around to ask.

Thank you all your efforts, watch this space

2 hours ago, smary said:

Now I'm totally confused! 

When you use a PC/Notebook etc, it shows a list of available WiFi networks. You select yours and manually input the password (much more secure)

WPS is a 'push button and connect' IMO it is NOT secure...I never use it!

Does the extender have a phone app? You could probably use that in the same way you'd connect a PC (select WiFi, input password).

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

@smaryAs I don't know what modem/router EE supply these days, can you post the make/model details (usually found on the label/plate on the back/bottom), then we may be able to advise properly.

EE Smart hub sh31b 

On 16/03/2024 at 13:29, smary said:

They are on the same circuit. My tp-link was working for a few years. We changed the router from bt now ee. When I went into the annex recently no signal so I assumed the link hadn't found the new router. I removed the link brought it upstairs to connect it to new router but it doesn't appear to have "paired" with new router.  I have to admit I've tried everything after watch YouTube but nothing worked. I'm wondering if the link is faulty. 

If what you have is an AV600 powerline extender it doesn't make a wifi connection with the router, but connects via house wiring.  For that to happen there needs to be a second item plugged in to mains near the router, and connected to the router by a network cable.  If so, when the router was changed it might be that either the network cable wasn't connected to the new router, or the plug in adapter isn't powered up, or it needs to be reset .

Pictures of what to look for to check this out here:  

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

• Like 1

@smarySorry for the late reply - had a football match to watch. To pair your Wi-Fi extender to your modem/router, as advised earlier, plug it into a power socket in the same room as your router - to avoid running between them - press the WPS button on the router until it flashes, and then the pairing (WPS) button on the extender - when the light on the router stops flashing, the extender should be paired and working.

Unplug it, return it to its usual home and you should be good to go.

NOTES: The WPS is not disabled on the router, and you can safely ignore any reference to that, as you can the whole of the post above, which is totally irrelevant

Please let us know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/03/2024 at 12:04, smary said:

I am going down a different route. Moving the router nearer the annex and hope I can pick up a signal when that's done. 

I realise it's difficult to understand what's happening in a post. I am willing to try things but I don't understand the wordngs. For instance I thought wps meant wifi and if I followed the details for using tp link it would work, now I read wps has to be enabled. I assumed it was. My other problem is I'm a Sheffield lass but living in a small village in Cornwall with nobody knowledgeable  around to ask.

Thank you all your efforts, watch this space

oh, right, was going to offer you a stead set solution, but unless you move back to Yorkshire you're a little out of my range :D

• 2 weeks later...