Tp-Link

Something to consider once 31st December 2025 comes around. I am currently with Zen internet which costs us £36.49 for Line Rental, Internet and Phone.

If i were to move to fibre, their cheapest deal at 300 Mbps is £36 and Digital Phone £7 a month - an increase of £7. So I have bought one of these:

ZTE MF833 which I will attach to an Asus currently unused router. Although having viewed the amazon page where I purchased it from I think I should have chosen the one that supports up to 10 devices! It comes with a Smarty data card and at time of purchase, unlimited data was £20 (with a £4 discount) per month - quite a difference!

If I were to move to FTTH (Fibre To The House) this would incur additional costs, not least the need to purchase a digital handset, so come end of next year, the landline will go forever, only mobiles.

On 24/04/2024 at 19:54, smary said:

Sorry for the late reply, been on hols. Would be interested to know what the stead set option would be

I would install you a wireless bridge from one building to the other. You could then forget about having to faf with WPS and power line adaptors. I've installed hundreds all over Derbyshire and the Peak District.

10 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

not least the need to purchase a digital handset

i'm on FTTP (Gbit, 1:1) comes with a phone service, they use VOIP and a standard phone plugs into my router..

Also, only costing me around £35 / month atm...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, walkertelecoms said:

I would install you a wireless bridge from one building to the other. You could then forget about having to faf with WPS and power line adaptors. I've installed hundreds all over Derbyshire and the Peak District.

I think that's similar to what I had. Tp link  av 600. They talk to each other but they aren't talking to my router. A friend took it home to try and he found the same thing.  We have had it a few years so perhaps it's burnt out it did get quite hot. If you come to Cornwall let me know we can have a chat about it!!

2 minutes ago, smary said:

I think that's similar to what I had. Tp link  av 600. They talk to each other but they aren't talking to my router. A friend took it home to try and he found the same thing.  We have had it a few years so perhaps it's burnt out it did get quite hot. If you come to Cornwall let me know we can have a chat about it!!

Hi, not quite. A wireless bridge is an outside transmitter that attaches to the outside of your house, it is then Network cabled to the place your router resides.

Then and outdoor receiver is fitted to the outside of your annex, then Network cabled to an annex area where a wifi hub is beneficial. The wifi 'bridge' is not the medium your wifi is transmitted from for client consumption, it merely creates a wifi bridge to connect the two buildings together.

Following installation, the wifi bridge becomes invisible after 15 minutes or so, but the fast link is still there. At both ends (inside the buildings) I install a cat6 network socket, so as far as the topology is concerned it's as though there's an invisible network cable straight out of the back of your router to the annex.

So we are talking quite expensive,just for a few days when someone is in the annex. Being from Yorkshire  I am loathe to spend money. My next plan is to move the router nearer the annex as the new ultraextend as boostered the signal a little bit.