The Biggest Drinker You've Known?

I know this can be a sad topic as many big drinkers die rather too young, but lets not be maudlin and instead tell of the outrageous drinking habits of those we have known.

I had a mate who inherited a decent wedge at a young age, enough to last a lifetime it seems, who has dedicated his life to excess, I first met him 20 years ago and thought, ‘He’ll not see 60 at this rate’. Despite having lost touch I hear he’s still going and nearing 70.

He would rise late morning and get a cab to somewhere like the Kelham Island Tavern, where he would read the FT and have a few ‘breakfast stouts’, I thought that meant something mild but I checked and it was 6-7% stuff. Then he would do a couple of hours work as a proof reader, a job he was terrible at, I one gave him a mates book and it came back with more mistakes than the original. Then off to Candytown for the one meal of the day with a bottle of Red, then he would turn up at my studio with another bottle of Red and we’d have a jam, by this time if he was in the zone he could knock off a perfect rendition of something tricky like ‘Since I’ve Been Loving You’ by Led Zeppelin, then we’d go for a  game of pool and lock-in where he would drink say 3 pints of strong ale, the last one downed in one. Then back to the studio for more wine, and finally a cab back to the all night shop near his home for another bottle of Red which he would drink until breakfast time...and repeat.

So that’s at least 3 bottles of Red and 5 pints of strong ale, which is about 42 units.

Sadly I’m sure some of you will know people who can beat that easily, do tell.

Edited by Palomar
  • Like 1

My birth mother (not my adoptive one ).   I met her when she was 90 , She lived on her own at Cleethorpes ,  I soon realised she was the local character ,   Her pension book was kept behind the counter of the local corner shop, This was due to her love of Whiskey , Port and Brandy ,  Before the pension book was deposited she had what she called her account at that shop ,(she talked like the Queen ).    That account was way over her means as she was penniless except for the old age pension .  

Her daily order by a note taken to her shop by neighbours was a bottle of any of the above which she fully drank every day .

Food was not important and was only provided by the local meals on wheels service or the odd snack that the shop sent round when they got concerned that she had not had any food delivered that week .

She was as fit as a butcher dog , 

She would sing in the Street waving to all.

One Sunday I got a call from the local Restaurant in Humberside .

We have your mother here they said ,, Yes said I , 

Well she has had the full carvery ,  Four  large whisky,s. and a Taxi here , She now says she has no money and to ring her Son in Sheffield and he will pay , 

I told them that that was their problem as I was skint ,   They barred her and a bloke gave her a lift home in his car .  
She was 94 at that time .

Her daily routine never altered with the shop order , Her prescription drugs where hidden from her by a home help as she would take them on top of the Whisky etc,   

She lived to be 99 , ****** as a newt . Always singing 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Palomar said:

I know this can be a sad topic as many big drinkers die rather too young, but lets not be maudlin and instead tell of the outrageous drinking habits of those we have known.

I had a mate who inherited a decent wedge at a young age, enough to last a lifetime it seems, who has dedicated his life to excess, I first met him 20 years ago and thought, ‘He’ll not see 60 at this rate’. Despite having lost touch I hear he’s still going and nearing 70.

He would rise late morning and get a cab to somewhere like the Kelham Island Tavern, where he would read the FT and have a few ‘breakfast stouts’, I thought that meant something mild but I checked and it was 6-7% stuff. Then he would do a couple of hours work as a proof reader, a job he was terrible at, I one gave him a mates book and it came back with more mistakes than the original. Then off to Candytown for the one meal of the day with a bottle of Red, then he would turn up at my studio with another bottle of Red and we’d have a jam, by this time if he was in the zone he could knock off a perfect rendition of something tricky like ‘Since I’ve Been Loving You’ by Led Zeppelin, then we’d go for a  game of pool and lock-in where he would drink say 3 pints of strong ale, the last one downed in one. Then back to the studio for more wine, and finally a cab back to the all night shop near his home for another bottle of Red which he would drink until breakfast time...and repeat.

So that’s at least 3 bottles of Red and 5 pints of strong ale, which is about 42 units.

Sadly I’m sure some of you will know people who can beat that easily, do tell.

If you've not already read it, "Binge drinking is good for you" posted on 1st March in this section may enlighten you...

1 hour ago, Padders said:

If you've not already read it, "Binge drinking is good for you" posted on 1st March in this section may enlighten you...

A link to the merriment above :

• Thanks 1