Frank Hester's Racist Comments About Diane Abbott

Message added by SheffieldForum

The thread has been derailed several times.

Please discuss the topic and stop with the personal comments and digs.

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Respecting the laws of the land is nothing to do with living sheltered lives.

If you break the law,  which you can if you insist,   don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you when you are punished.

You can drive your car at twice the speed limit if you wish but we don't want to hear you complaining when you are caught.

Doesn't matter what anybody thinks or regards as normal,  the law tells you what should be normal and should be obeyed.  You can make efforts to get the law changed through the usual channels.

Hester hasn't broken any laws.

Next.

37 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I would say in every workplace I've been in **** taking is the number one method of having a laugh, by some distance. And that would be inadmissible to "Sheffield Forum".

If we took an another member if staff it would be essential we could have a laugh with them, if they were like SF it just would not work at all. Unless he was extremely insensitive he'd be desperate to leave and we'd be desperate to see the back of him so we could get back to having a laugh.

In my workplaces we hire the people who can do the job best and treat them with respect.

We all get on great and have a fantastic working environment where we enjoy it, look forward to working together, have great teams and where a lot gets done.

I've been in workplaces where p-taking is a source of humour for some, and generally they are horrible places to work where bullying is tolerated (or a blind eye turned to it) or some of the more vocal people dominate and the more respectful people get shouted down. I can have a laugh with the best of them, but there's no need to have victims in a joke, especially not when it comes to sexual orientation, ability or disability,  race or colour, etc. The 1970s style 'working men's club' type humour largely died out a long time ago and the amounts of folk that are holding on to the last embers of it are thankfully decreasing.

Back to topic - what Hester said was not appropriate or professional or immune to any consequence, and rightfully, it is being scrutinised and called out for what it is: racist and sexist.

42 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I would say in every workplace I've been in **** taking is the number one method of having a laugh, by some distance. And that would be inadmissible to "Sheffield Forum".

If we took an another member if staff it would be essential we could have a laugh with them, if they were like SF it just would not work at all. Unless he was extremely insensitive he'd be desperate to leave and we'd be desperate to see the back of him so we could get back to having a laugh.

Having a laugh with them, is indicative of a friendly working relationship.
Some members of staff, or worse the CEO, having a laugh at staff is an entirely different thing, and indicative of a bullying and abusive relationship.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Hester hasn't broken any laws.

Next.

Just come in from work, so I haven't seen the news, but I do know that Diane Abbott has refered Hester to the Met Police.

Also since Hester's speech became public I've heard on the radio the case of a black parliamentary candidate who had similar vile things said about him, he refered the comments to the police, and the person who made the comments ended up in court. 

I think from memory he was called 'racoon', because he's mixed race, and other slurs were made about him, based on his ethnicity.

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

There appears to be a lot of Saints on this thread .

I'm no saint Hacks, and I manage to have a laugh at work and not offend anyone. The carers, managers and ancillary staff who I work with are from many different parts of the world.

It's not very difficult.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Humour might be "more pleasant without belittling, targeting , discriminating against or victimising people", but it's not usually as funny, certainly in real world humour.

Okay I'll take that at face value and ask would you genuinely go up to a random black person and say to them what Hester said about Abbott?

Or would you think, no I shouldn't because they might really hurt, upset, or angry at what I said.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

That's how you run your small business.

Larger companies, organisations, civil service employ more people and have standards and customers to keep. 

You can't expect what works for you to work for every else. It's high time you learned that. 

35 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

In my workplaces we hire the people who can do the job best and treat them with respect.

We all get on great and have a fantastic working environment where we enjoy it, look forward to working together, have great teams and where a lot gets done.

I've been in workplaces where p-taking is a source of humour for some, and generally they are horrible places to work where bullying is tolerated (or a blind eye turned to it) or some of the more vocal people dominate and the more respectful people get shouted down. I can have a laugh with the best of them, but there's no need to have victims in a joke, especially not when it comes to sexual orientation, ability or disability,  race or colour, etc. The 1970s style 'working men's club' type humour largely died out a long time ago and the amounts of folk that are holding on to the last embers of it are thankfully decreasing.

Back to topic - what Hester said was not appropriate or professional or immune to any consequence, and rightfully, it is being scrutinised and called out for what it is: racist and sexist.

Holding on to the last embers? No, what I'd call it is some people still have that kind of sense of humour. I doubt anyone is consciously holding on to anything. 

Anyway, re Hester as far as I'm concerned (now I've seen the whole story) I'd say he's a racist and should be treated as such. And the same for Diane Abbott,  she's also said racist things so therefore I consider her to be racist too. Yes she definitely the victim in this case but that doesn't wipe away the comments she's previously made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1